Text box mess after Cleaning Files in Wordfast
Thread poster: NR_Stedman
NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:24
French to English
Nov 28, 2008

Word 2007 and Wordfast 5.53q

When I clean files segmented with Wf that contain boxes of text and figures I get a big mess. All the text boxes are displaced and are superimposed on the top of other parts of the text.
Has anyone had this problem and what is the solution?
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you use Werecat-macro Nov 28, 2008

Usually textboxes are not translated straight with Wf but extracted to a seperate file prior to translation. You can use the macro provided in the wf-manual or Werecat.
If the target-language is longer than the source, you'll have to adjust the boxes manually prior to delivery.
Trados TE is better for such files.
Regards
Heinrich

NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply to Heinrich Nov 28, 2008

I translate text-boxes manually.
The problem is that cleaning the document makes the boxes go heywire. They are scattered throughout the text and it is very hard to delete them when they are superimposed on other parts of the main text.
NB I never had this problem with older Wf versions
The only solution is to delete all text boxes before cleaning and them copy them back into the cleaned document

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Yes, me too Nov 28, 2008

I had this problem recently, Word 2007 and WF 5.52z version.

I had done a test (on a copy) with Werecat to handle the textboxes that were interspersed throughout the document, and found that it didn't work as expected. I think the file was too complicated for Werecat.

So I decided to translate the whole text, clean up and handle the textboxes manually after cleanup (they were the section titles).

After clean up, I discovered that the textboxes had gone "haywire" exactly as you describe. They were all in the wrong place, some of them on top of each other, out of order, some boxes from page 1 could be found later on page 24, others were closer to their original page, or in the wrong place on their original page ... some had even vanished.

It took me *hours* to put everything back together and actually translate the boxes, I had something like 100 pages split up into 3 files, with several textboxes on each page. I can only sympathize with you, no idea what the cause of this mess is, probably not the WF version, maybe something to do with Word 2007?

I don't have a lot of experience with textboxes, and after this project, I realized that I actually prefer powerpoint files to word files with lots of textboxes

Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
me too Nov 28, 2008

Something similar happened to me recently, but I don't use Word 2007, I think it is due to the Wordfast release. Luckily it was a short file, but I had to retranslate without the text boxes and paste it them in at the end. I seem to have had various problems with this release which I had never experienced before.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Not using the 2007 Word version ... Nov 28, 2008

... but when you speak about "text boxes" I'm really afraid that you have PDF files converted to DOC or RTF ? Could be the case ? If yes, no wondering about the "mess".

Regards,

Olivier

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Same problem Nov 28, 2008

(Olivier, it's nothing to do with converted files)

I've had the same problem with complex Word files involving text boxes and figures, and it's a total pain. All I've ever done is move them manually back to where they should be. I've always assumed that it's due to differences in text volume between the source and target text, though, rather than a WF bug. I can't remember having had things going totally AWOL on me.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
If its not the case ... Nov 28, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

(Olivier, it's nothing to do with converted files)

... I believe You ! It was just a reflexion. So if not, very painful ?

OM

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:24
Russian to English
+ ...
Frequent problems with moving text boxes Nov 28, 2008

I always translate text boxes manually. Also, I normally use superimposed text boxes to translate text in graphics where the text is embedded in the image, although I have also used GIMP to replace text in images were text boxes would cover up part of the image. That's a time consuming process, but I actually enjoy the mindless repetition involved in carefully deleting the non-English words and replacing them with English so that it appears the English is an integral part of the image. When I do that, nothing moves around.

I have often had problems with text boxes moving around in documents where I inserted them over embedded text. Sometimes I will go back to an image and see that they have moved, reposition them, and then find that they move again when I proofread. I don't recall having that kind of problem when translating existing text boxes, but I always do my final review in Print View.

A couple times I have had a different kind of problem with text boxes. Both were word documents where the author used text boxes to draw an organization chart, and the chart was all the file contained. The first time it happened, I opened the document in Word to review it before accepting the job, and it looked fine. I closed it and came back later to do the translation, only to find that most of the document was missing. I downloaded a fresh copy, thinking the file had become corrupted. Same problem. I started working on recreating the chart from scratch in a new file, but that was extremely time consuming and complex, as it was a very complicated chart. I eventually succeeded in viewing and translating the chart in OpenOffice.org. On another occasion, I opened a chart created the same way in Word, and it was messed up. I tried OpenOffice, and it was messed up there, too. Then I went back to Word again, and it was fine. The lesson I took from the experience is that it's a good idea to have more than one tool in your toolbox.

[Edited at 2008-11-28 16:48 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:24
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ahhhh.... Nov 28, 2008

good old TagEditor... nice!

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
expanding uncleaned text boxes Nov 30, 2008

NR_Stedman wrote:

Word 2007 and Wordfast 5.53q

When I clean files segmented with Wf that contain boxes of text and figures I get a big mess.
Thanks

I usually enlarge the text boxes containg source and target segments, i.e. after completing the translation of all the text in the file and in txt boxes. Then I save the file. And clean it. The text boxes remain where they should be, a bit larger, because of my previous operation; to decrease their size is a matter of a few minutes.

D

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text box mess after Cleaning Files in Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search