Direct link Reply with quote

Adrien Esparron
Local time: 23:30
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Yes, for sure ! Dec 2, 2008

+ Tools needed as said in the User Manual

Wordfast can be used to translate HTML files (and SGML/XML files, if you know how to prepare them - see +Tools). The +Tools utility must be installed beforehand.

Just start the XML file translation under WordFast. A Message box says : "This appears to be HTML, .... file. This document must be tagged before translation".

Now just clik OK. Enjoy ! Nothing more.

Did you downloaded the User Manual ?

Regards,

Olivier

[Modifié le 2008-12-02 17:27 GMT]

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Making *some* progress Dec 2, 2008

Thanks Olivier,

That got me started. I do have +tools. The problem was that I thought I had to do the tagging rather than it just happening automatically. I was hunting all over for the "Tag it" button

However, I can now get just far enough to get myself in trouble. The problem is that all my source text is mangled. It looks to me like Word doesn't know it's Unicode (or what flavour of Unicode it is) and all the accented characters are garbled. They are fine when I first open the file but they get mangled when I start WordFast and it does the tagging.

An interesting but possibly related problem is that I created a new (empty) TM for testing / playing purposes and I can't save it as Unicode. My Word "save as" dialog doesn't have a Unicode option. It used to have, but it's gone away... Anyway, I used the special "rewrite as Unicode" filter in the TM tools and now have a unicode TM but it doesn't seem to help.

I did download the manual. Unfortunately, reading on the screen gives me a headache and I didn't have enough disk space at the time for the printer to spool it. I do now but (1) I've forgotten where it is and (2) I'm too damn busy!

Terry.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Some ideas Dec 3, 2008

Terry Richards wrote:

It looks to me like Word doesn't know it's Unicode (or what flavour of Unicode it is) and all the accented characters are garbled. They are fine when I first open the file but they get mangled when I start WordFast and it does the tagging.

Difficult to answer not knowing how the original file was saved (ANSI may be here). I'm not sure that the problem is only UNICODE (as you experimented), but the kind of encoding. I had a client TM where the same problem appeared : I just converted the file in UTF-8 (its sufficient for alphabetical languages) using a tool like Notepasd ++ and the problem was solved. Try it !

Regards,

Olivier

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The original is UTF-8 Dec 3, 2008

I can open the original file in notepad, word and explorer and it is fine. It is UTF-8.

It is only corrupt after WordFast tags it.

I have tried opening the original in Word and opening it in notepad and copy/paste the XML into a new Word document. I then save that as txt (UTF-8) and start translating with Wordfast. It is still corrupted.

I found the manual and read the section on XML and there is no new information there.

I have found several tutorials on the Internet and they all say the same things.

This is probably something really stupid but, right now, it looks like I will have to turn this job down.

Terry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I translate XML with WordFast?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search