'Installing' Wordfast 6.0 in Linux
Thread poster: Mark Daniels
Mark Daniels
Mark Daniels  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
Serbian to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2008

I am really intrigued by Wordfast 6.0 for its compatibility with different platforms - CAT tools are really the only major thing that's keeping me on Windows so if I can use Wordfast with Linux that's fantastic!

There still don't seem to be any instructions for the trial version of Wordfast 6.0 that would explain how to 'install' on Linux. I have done the following:

1) downloaded the Linux archive for WF6.0 (in Windows, to my Windows partition, actually)
2) fired
... See more
I am really intrigued by Wordfast 6.0 for its compatibility with different platforms - CAT tools are really the only major thing that's keeping me on Windows so if I can use Wordfast with Linux that's fantastic!

There still don't seem to be any instructions for the trial version of Wordfast 6.0 that would explain how to 'install' on Linux. I have done the following:

1) downloaded the Linux archive for WF6.0 (in Windows, to my Windows partition, actually)
2) fired up Ubuntu
3) installed Java Runtime, which you obviously need since WF6.0 is written in Java
4) unpacked the WF6.0 archive somewhere on my Windows partition from within Ubuntu
5) double-clicked the Wordfast file from that archive and... hey presto! It works!

So what's my problem? I am not very knowledgeable about Linux - shouldn't I be 'installing' (there's those inverted commas again) Wordfast somewhere? At the very least, shouldn't it reside in a folder on my Linux partition somewhere? Which folder, if so? And would there normally be a 'shortcut' (sorry, Windows thinking, I know) to the executable somewhere on the desktop, file associations, etc. (or whatever the Linux equivalents are to installing an application)? I seem to be able to run it like this, but seems wrong somehow, running it off my Windows partition!

Any help would be appreciated - I would really like to do some trialling of WF6.0 before the demo runs out at the end of the year, as I would love to part company with the ghastly T****s/W*****s combination once and for all.

And if there is a huge great documentation file somewhere on how to do all this that I have missed, please point me that way!

Thanks,

Mark
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Installing' Wordfast 6.0 in Linux Dec 10, 2008

If you're the only user who's going to be using it, put it in /home/user/wordfast. I tried this and it launches OK. I haven't tried doing much beyond that.

Normally I would put it in /user/local/lib/wordfast or /opt/wordfast and make it available to all users, but it doesn't want to run from there - presumably a permissions problem (and not just for the launch binary).

Launch it from the console (at least initially) with

cd /home/user/bin/wordfast
./W
... See more
If you're the only user who's going to be using it, put it in /home/user/wordfast. I tried this and it launches OK. I haven't tried doing much beyond that.

Normally I would put it in /user/local/lib/wordfast or /opt/wordfast and make it available to all users, but it doesn't want to run from there - presumably a permissions problem (and not just for the launch binary).

Launch it from the console (at least initially) with

cd /home/user/bin/wordfast
./Wordfast

- that way you can read the error messages should there be any problems.

Marc

(Edited owing to tag misinterpretation; for "user", read your own user name)

[Edited at 2008-12-10 11:09 GMT]
Collapse

Leonardo La Malfa
Leonardo La Malfa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
About Ubuntu Dec 10, 2008

Hi Mark,

I would follow Marc's good suggestions because they actually answer your questions entirely. I only wanted to add a couple of things.

Mark Daniels wrote:

So what's my problem? I am not very knowledgeable about Linux - shouldn't I be 'installing' (there's those inverted commas again) Wordfast somewhere? At the very least, shouldn't it reside in a folder on my Linux partition somewhere? Which folder, if so? And would there normally be a 'shortcut' (sorry, Windows thinking, I know) to the executable somewhere on the desktop, file associations, etc. (or whatever the Linux equivalents are to installing an application)? I seem to be able to run it like this, but seems wrong somehow, running it off my Windows partition!

Any help would be appreciated - I would really like to do some trialling of WF6.0 before the demo runs out at the end of the year, as I would love to part company with the ghastly T****s/W*****s combination once and for all.

And if there is a huge great documentation file somewhere on how to do all this that I have missed, please point me that way!

Thanks,

Mark

I am using Ubuntu 8.10, and ditched Windows fairly recently, so I think I can see where your hesitation is coming from. I'm afraid there's no "great documentation" yet, and the only instructions can be found here: www.wordfast.com/store_download.html (README Instructions). I believe you've already visited this page, though, for downloading your copy of WF6, probably without finding those instructions clear enough. You may expect some kind of Window$-like installation shield which takes care of the whole process after clicking on the relevant installation file, but you actually only need to follow the first 3 steps, and you have successfully installed - and without inverted commas - your application. It will now be fully functional (within the limitations of the current build, still in pre-release/beta version).

As for your shortcut, you will have to create it yourself. In Ubuntu, right-click on the desktop, choose "Create Launcher", fill in the required fields, and you're done. To create an entry in your Applications menu, go to "System", then "Preferences" finally click on "Main Menu". There you will find all your menus with the relevant entries, and you can choose where to add WF6 with the same procedure we've seen for the desktop. If you're puzzled about the "Command" field, it should read something like: /home/****/Wordfast/Wordfast where **** stands for your username, and /home/****/Wordfast/Wordfast for the directory where WF6 is located, assuming you've followed Marc's instructions.

I'm sure there are quicker and more efficient ways to achieve the same result, but this is what worked for me, and while I hope to read them, I wish you good luck and "happy linuxing". And remember, don't be afraid to dump Window$ - there's an extraordinary community on the other side ready to give you terrific support.

Leonardo

Mark Daniels
Mark Daniels  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Dec 10, 2008

Fantastic! Thanks guys!

Yes, I am really keen to get away from Windows, and also from a certain other CAT program which we've all grown to love and hate...

I guess there are just a few applications that I still can't live without in Windows, but since I got Vista with my laptop (hmm, mixed blessing, I know) I can pop back to visit every now and then!

Only thing that is really a problem: a lack of speech recognition software under Linux... I imagine it's goi
... See more
Fantastic! Thanks guys!

Yes, I am really keen to get away from Windows, and also from a certain other CAT program which we've all grown to love and hate...

I guess there are just a few applications that I still can't live without in Windows, but since I got Vista with my laptop (hmm, mixed blessing, I know) I can pop back to visit every now and then!

Only thing that is really a problem: a lack of speech recognition software under Linux... I imagine it's going to be a couple of years down the line before anything really workable is going to appear (please correct me if I am wrong!) and I have been seriously increasing my productivity for a while now - and saving my finger joints - with SR, so I can't do without it now... That's kind of a sticking point at the moment.

There, and not an inverted comma in sight!

Thanks once again for the help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Installing' Wordfast 6.0 in Linux

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »