Wordfast seems unusable
Thread poster: Martha Schwan

Martha Schwan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 15, 2008

Hello. How do you open a document in WordFast. It simply does not do anything. It looks like I'm reading greek or something. I do not have a clue how to run It. Could someone tell me how do I open a document with that program? Because I think It does not work at all. Besides, there is no one for me to call to ask for help with this situation.

I am just trying the new WordFast until December 31, 2008. I really need to have a Memory tool. The only file that I could open with that program (WordFast) is one that I have saved in xml only!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-15 21:00 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
Member (2004)
German to English
Briefly ... Dec 15, 2008

I assume that you have Wordfast installed and that you have the Wordfast toolbar showing at the top of your screen in Word.

Open the document you want to translate in Word. Then click on the Wordfast icon on the Wordfast toolbar so that all the other icons appear. You can then click the down arrow icon to start translating the first segment.

Do you don't open a document in Wordfast - you open the document in Word and then use Wordfast to handle it.

You should find links on the Wordfast website to the manual, which will give you some help.

Luciano Drusetta
Italy
Local time: 07:33
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
On line help Dec 15, 2008

Have you tried their help on-line?

http://www.wordfast.com/Wordfast_T/Wordfast_6_T_Help.htm

Luciano

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Maybe some clues Dec 15, 2008

Dear Martha,

I don´t know exactly how you try to open a document in word fast everything I write might just be useless to you - but I try:

If the installation of your trial version was successful you should be able to open the wordfast tool bar in for example microsoft word. So open a microsoft word document then you should see the tool bar for wordfast underneath the word tool bar. If it is not shown (you should see a button with an f) than you have to open the tool bar first. (If you see the f, klick on it and the other buttons, to start, end translation etc are displayed). Well it is a bit more complicated because you have to define a translation memory first - you really have to read the manual it is not difficult but you have to know how to do it so it is worth the time.

But if you see the f you open the document you wish to translate, put the cursor on the first sentence and klick on the button to open a segment (how you do that you see in the word fast manual).

Maybe you tried all that and it just did not work so I don´t know if I could help you.

Best regards and good luck
Sylvia

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Which version? Dec 15, 2008

If you use the Wordfast stand-alone version it should work like any normal application. If you use the file wordfast.dot, you must open it in Word.
What is your operating system?
In any case read the documentation. Thousands of translators use Wordfast.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NO Dec 15, 2008

Armorel Young wrote:

I assume that you have Wordfast installed and that you have the Wordfast toolbar showing at the top of your screen in Word.

Open the document you want to translate in Word. Then click on the Wordfast icon on the Wordfast toolbar so that all the other icons appear. You can then click the down arrow icon to start translating the first segment.

Do you don't open a document in Wordfast - you open the document in Word and then use Wordfast to handle it.

You should find links on the Wordfast website to the manual, which will give you some help.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends... Dec 15, 2008

Hi Martha,

Heinrich is right; it depends on what version you're using.

I've been using the 5.xx versions for the past year and a half and it works like a dream.

Wordfast 6 is still is all-new and may need some tweaking.

If what you're interested in is getting up and running quickly with Wordfast, I suggest you download the latest 5.x version. The on-line documentation is fantastic and Wordfast has a Yahoo group that I've found to be pretty helpful: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

In any case, there's no deadline for using the trial version, just a limit on the number of TU's.

I've found Wordfast to be a highly effective tool, both cost- and production-wise, as well as incredibly user-friendly.

Best regards,

Liz

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not useful at all Dec 15, 2008

This program does not work, does not open anything, doens't do anything. I will just uninstall It. At least this way It wont take much space for nothing.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you read the instruction manual? Dec 15, 2008

It doesn't sound like you've installed it correctly. I suggest you read the instructions for installing Wordfast, and follow them step by step.

If you've already done this, it would be helpful if you could give us some more information on what you see. In tools/templates, can you see Wordfast among the options? Is it ticked? If not, tick it. If it's not there, you need to add it from wherever you saved it on your computer, as is explained in the instructions.

[Edited at 2008-12-15 18:00 GMT]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Must be version 6.0 Dec 15, 2008

I think you have installed the brand-new Wordfast 6.0 ...which is not a Word add-in at all, very different from the previous versions.

I was able to install 6.0 last weekend and create a project, open a file and translate, all without reading the instructions but I couldn't figure out how to cleanup, even after reading the instructions.

As Liz mentioned, try version 5.53 instead, and be sure to download the training files as well!

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Hm Dec 15, 2008

Martha Schwan wrote:

This program does not work,

It works

does not open anything, doens't do anything.

Not right

I will just uninstall It.

Do you need help to uninstall it?

At least this way It wont take much space for nothing.

It seems you are very angry for some reasons we don't know. You don't give any information about your problem, it seems you have not read any tutorial or "first steps" to use it (wherever you have install, we still don't know which version). Have you use before any CAT? do you know what a CAT tool does?

You are speaking bad about a Program without having any idea to use it. This is not fair.

Regards

[Edited at 2008-12-15 20:35 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I wonder why you all try to help!! Dec 15, 2008

Wordfast, but which version? Operating system, which one? Document, which one, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ...?
OK! Wordfast and all other memory tools (CAT tools!) are useless. Uninstall all of them!

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Mentorship is a two-way process Dec 16, 2008

Dear Martha,

I was very lucky indeed when I took the CAT tool plunge and began to use Wordfast, because a ProZ colleague who is a very experienced Wordfast user generously gave of her time to guide me through the many teething problems I experienced - and continues to help and advise me as I totter forward...

Without her help I'd have been (and would still be) very lost.

But the reason I'm not completely lost and continue to learn is because when she asks me questions about what I've done/how I've done it, I answer her by giving her the information she's requested, not by saying the programme is hopeless. I tend to operate from standpoint that perhaps I may have made a mistake or may, quite simply, still not know quite what to do/how to do it, despite having read and followed the (free and downloadable) manuals.

There are people here who, I'm sure, are equally as experienced as my colleague and just as willing to be generous with their time and expertise. So perhaps you could try meeting them halfway?

It's a good tool. Worth finding a way to use. I wish you luck!

Caryl

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:33
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My cleanup error Dec 16, 2008

I was able to install 6.0 last weekend and create a project, open a file and translate, all without reading the instructions but I couldn't figure out how to cleanup, even after reading the instructions.

My WordFast 6.0 trial version also cannot cleanup files after the 1st translation session. the PM button [for file cleanup] is not functional.

Soonthon L.

Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
not true Dec 16, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Wordfast, but which version? Operating system, which one? Document, which one, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ...?
OK! Wordfast and all other memory tools (CAT tools!) are useless. Uninstall all of them!

I've been using wordfast 5.5 for well over a year, It's an extremely usful tool. before that I did every thing in word manually; that was a royal pain! Wordfast has saved me time and frustration. I find the new version slightly cumbersome but I'm just starting to experiment with it. If you're not using a CAT tool you might as well go back to writing on stone tablets IMO.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast seems unusable

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search