Urgent help with footnotes
Thread poster: Angel_7

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:18
French to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2008

I would really appreciate help with footnotes in Wordfast. According to the manual, double clicking on the footnote icon should produce something called the "footnote pane". However, all it seems to do is jump to the part where the footnote is located (in print view). Also, there is no source or target segment, as in the rest of the document. Can I just overtype the footnote or should there be source and target windows as with non-footnote segments? What should the footnote pane look like?

I'm a bit concerned because the document is due by 11am tomorrow. I'm using Wordfast 5 trial version and Word 2003.

Thanks.

Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
No can do Dec 16, 2008

Hi Sarah,

As far as I'm aware (unless it's changed recently), Wordfast doesn't do footnotes. Just move the footnote reference into your target segment and then overtype the actual footnote text as you would in a normal Word file. If you leave the reference in the source text, you'll lose it when you clean up.

HTH

Claire

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What manual says Dec 16, 2008

Claire

The manual says the following:

When the document's translation is over, double-click any footnote reference to open the footnote pane (the current window will split and the bottom half will show footnotes) [I don't know what this means - doesn't seem to happen] to translate the actual footnotes. Simply put your cursor in a footnote and start translating as usual with Wordfast. You can translate footnotes immediately after a segment, by closing the segment, then opening the footnote pane and translating the footnote. But I recommend translating all footnotes in a separate translation session when the document's translation is over.

You may be correct that that's what this means; I'm not sure.

Regards and thanks for your answer.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 16, 2008

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what it means. It's just describing the normal Word footnotes procedure and hence why it says translate them in a separate session. I can't find my notes about footnotes off-hand, but that's what I've always done.

Claire

Leonardo La Malfa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Workarounds Dec 16, 2008

Angel_7 wrote:

I would really appreciate help with footnotes in Wordfast.

Hi Sarah, I'll give you some good workarounds borrowed from the Wordfast Group, since with the latest public version footers are still not cleanable.

Clean them up separately, i.e. copy/paste to a new document and clean it up to update the TM. Search all hidden text in the working doc and replace it with nothing.
You can either fall back on a previous version for cleaning up your document, or you use the current beta version (to be found on http://www.wordfast.net/beta) only to change back to your preferred Wordfast version after cleaning up. I wouldn't recommend this one, though, for beta versions are notoriously unstable, and you might find yourself in an even more difficult situation.
- Clean up the document as usual (updating the TM)
- Switch to the "Normal View" mode.
- From "View" menu, choose "Footnotes", to make the footnote section appear.
- Make sure that the cursor is in the "Footnote Section".
- Now, make another clean up (updating the TM) to find the footnotes cleaned up and updated. A separate report will prompt for each cleaning up.

I hope at least one of these methods will do the trick for you. For any other doubt, I would recommend you visit and join the WF Group at tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/. People there are very supportive, and answers are usually quicker and to the point.

Leonardo

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Manual extract Dec 16, 2008

Hello again Sarah,

This is what it says in my manual:

"Footnotes
When a source segment contains a footnote reference (a number that looks like this: 1 and which, if double-clicked, opens the corresponding footnote), start translating the target segment as usual. At the point where the footnote reference should appear in the translated text, use Ctrl+Alt+left/right to select the footnote reference (it should be boxed in red), then transfer it into the target segment using Ctrl+Alt+down. If these shortcuts are not available, you can use the corresponding icons (Next/Previous/Copy Placeable) in the Wordfast toolbar.

You can also manually select the footnote reference, cut it (not copy it) and paste it into the target segment. The important point is to actually cut (not copy) then paste the footnote reference (move the footnote reference), otherwise you would duplicate notes.

When the document's translation is over, double-click any footnote reference to open the footnote pane (the current window will split and the bottom half will show footnotes) to translate the actual footnotes. Simply put your cursor in a footnote and start translating as usual with Wordfast. You can translate foonotes immediately after a segment, by closing the segment then opening the footnote pane and translating the footnote. But I recommend translating all footnotes in a separate translation session when the document's translation is over.

After you transfer a footnote reference, Wordfast will replace the source segment's original footnote reference with a "dummy" footnote reference number, so the revisor can know where the original footnote reference position was.

Note that when there are multiple footnotes references in the same segment, they will appear wrongly numbered after you transfer the first footnote reference. The correct numbering will be restored when you transfer the segment's last footnote reference.

In case of mistake, use Ms-Word's undo function."

I think what's confusing is that it says "start translating as usual with Wordfast" - however, I may be wrong! Certainly it works doing what I do, but obviously any footnote text isn't in your TM. Do you have lots to process, so it's important to have them in the TM?

Claire

Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
I use wordfast for footnotes Dec 16, 2008

I frequently translate footnotes using word - I always leave them until the end, making sure the references are transferred to the target text, then just click on them and translate. I think I have to open the Wordfast window and go to Tools -Clean-up, rather than Quick Clean-up, but I don't recall having any major problems.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't understand Leonardo Dec 16, 2008

Leonardo

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

Clean them up separately, i.e. copy/paste to a new document and clean it up to update the TM. Search all hidden text in the working doc and replace it with nothing.

This makes sense apart from "search all hidden text". What does that mean?

You can either fall back on a previous version for cleaning up your document, or you use the current beta version (to be found on http://www.wordfast.net/beta) only to change back to your preferred Wordfast version after cleaning up. I wouldn't recommend this one, though, for beta versions are notoriously unstable, and you might find yourself in an even more difficult situation.

Why can't I just clean up using the trial version I am using?

- Clean up the document as usual (updating the TM)
- Switch to the "Normal View" mode.
- From "View" menu, choose "Footnotes", to make the footnote section appear.
- Make sure that the cursor is in the "Footnote Section".
- Now, make another clean up (updating the TM) to find the footnotes cleaned up and updated. A separate report will prompt for each cleaning up.

You want me to clean up twice. After you do it once, I don't think you can do it again unless you open the document as new, pre-translate and then clean.

I hope at least one of these methods will do the trick for you. For any other doubt, I would recommend you visit and join the WF Group at tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/. People there are very supportive, and answers are usually quicker and to the point.

I haven't found them as helpful as you. I get "read the manual" quite a lot.

Leonardo La Malfa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Segment a footnote as usual Dec 16, 2008

Hi Sarah,

Sorry, it seems I've needlessly gone a step further (the cleaning up) while you were still stuck at the previous step (how to translate a footnote). In this respect, I found Claire's explanation quite clear. I've actually tested it and it works, indeed. So, you might give it a try, it's surely worth it!

Also, I've noticed your query to the WF Group, and the subsequent answers received. In particular, Aleksandr's reply tells you what you might be doing wrong (you should be in 'normal' view rather than in 'document layout' view to avoid what you describe in your first post here) and that you should get the target/source segments, as usual. In fact - as another user there points out - you can definitely segment a footnote with Wordfast (just tested - it works), although you might experience troubles cleaning it up, afterwards.

Leonardo

Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:18
English to German
+ ...
Footnotes in Wordfast Dec 17, 2008

Claire Cox wrote:
"Footnotes
When a source segment contains a footnote reference (a number that looks like this: 1 and which, if double-clicked, opens the corresponding footnote), start translating the target segment as usual. At the point where the footnote reference should appear in the translated text, use Ctrl+Alt+left/right to select the footnote reference (it should be boxed in red), then transfer it into the target segment using Ctrl+Alt+down. If these shortcuts are not available, you can use the corresponding icons (Next/Previous/Copy Placeable) in the Wordfast toolbar.

This is how I have always translated footnotes in Wordfast and has worked flawlessly.

Best of luck,
Bogdan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help with footnotes

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search