Wordfast and PlusTools - Alignment problem
Thread poster: Sheila Hardie

Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:38
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2009

I wonder if someone can help me with another Wordfast problem! I have a Powerbook G4 Mac laptop with Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac, Wordfast 5.56g (latest Beta version) and I downloaded PlusTools 4.16 the other day.

Anyway, I have been asked to align several documents that were not translated in Wordfast. However, I am new to Wordfast (and all CAT tools for that matter) and am finding this very complicated. To be honest, I am not sure if it's simply due to my ignorance or because some of the features are not working on my Mac. So, please bear with me. I downloaded PlusTools 4.16 from Wordfast's website and tried to install it. However, the icon does not appear on the Wordfast toolbar. Following instructions in the PlusTools guide, I went to Tools and Templates in Word to activate the PlusTools.dot file. My Microsoft Word 2004 is in Spanish (computer bought in Spain) and my Wordfast 5.56g is in French (no idea why), so I hope I'm looking in the right places. I appeared to have activated the macro but the icon still does now show up on the Wordfast toolbar.

Now I have 'extracted' txt files from both source and target documents successfully (or so it would appear), but cannot see how to align them as I have no idea where PlusTools is in the Wordfast set-up.

I hope someone can understand my rambling explanation. I'm currently pulling my hair out because I can't figure out what to do.

Many thanks in advance!

Sheila

[Modifié le 2009-01-09 09:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
PlusTools is separate from Wordfast, Jan 9, 2009

thus, you won’t see PlusTools icons in the WF toolbar. Provided that you have actually activated plustools.dot, go to View → Toolbars menu (or whatever it is in your interface language) and tick, yes, PlusTools. You’ll see a new toolbar in Word with a small red cross — the PlusTools one.

[Edited at 2009-01-09 09:49 GMT]

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your quick reply! Jan 9, 2009

Thank you so much! I did just what you said and it seems to have worked. Now I just have to figure out what to do next in order to align the documents!

Thanks again

Sheila

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
You’re welcome! Jan 9, 2009

Just read the manual, it is quite clear and exhaustive. I’m afraid, I could not explain something better than the manual does

Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-01-09 09:58 GMT]

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Jan 9, 2009

I think the manual explains the rest of the alignment process in great detail, but I could not find any reference to finding the PlusTools icon (a small but essential detail!). So, you did in fact explain something better than the manual

Now I can set to work on the trying to align the documents.

Thanks again!

Sheila

esperantisto wrote:

Just read the manual, it is quite clear and exhaustive. I’m afraid, I could not explain something better than the manual does

Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-01-09 09:58 GMT]

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Plus Tools do not belong to the Wordfast toolbar Jan 9, 2009

Sheila Hardie wrote:

Now I have 'extracted' txt files from both source and target documents successfully (or so it would appear), but cannot see how to align them as I have no idea where PlusTools is in the Wordfast set-up.

If you installed PlusTools as said in the user's manual, open Word, then open (sorry French version) Affichage / Barre d'outils and in the list you have PlusTools. A separate PlusTools icon will be shown in your toolbars. Clicking this icon opens the PlusTools dialog box. Enjoy. Be aware that the alignment has to be verified because it is not 100% sure. I use Excel to proof. When everything is OK, then you can create your TM.

Best regards,

Olivier

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Olivier Jan 9, 2009

I shall definitely bear that in mind! Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly now.

Best wishes,

Sheila

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:38
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
See limits of Plus tools Jan 9, 2009

Many translators and I had trouble to align long documents with Plustools.
Plustools only align the 1st page of Word, Excel files etc. in table format and ignore all subsquent pages.
I lost many pages in the alignment processes.
I read WordFast forum in Yahoo!, Proz etc. and cannot recover from this constraint.
Please try observing by yourself. It is not much complicated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and PlusTools - Alignment problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search