translation memory (wordfast)
Thread poster: Sol Richardson
Sol Richardson
Sol Richardson
French to English
Jan 23, 2009

hello there... i just got wordfast and i'm confused...

i just set up a translation memory, but when i tell it to translate something, there are no matches because the translation memory is empty. how do i get ahold of a translation memory with alot of content to make my life alot easier? is there somewhere i can download a decent memory from?

also... could someone explain how to join the wordfast vltm? how do you go about getting a workgroup password for this?
... See more
hello there... i just got wordfast and i'm confused...

i just set up a translation memory, but when i tell it to translate something, there are no matches because the translation memory is empty. how do i get ahold of a translation memory with alot of content to make my life alot easier? is there somewhere i can download a decent memory from?

also... could someone explain how to join the wordfast vltm? how do you go about getting a workgroup password for this?

thanks vey much in advance fort your replies... sorry i'm so ignorant about this!

[Edited at 2009-01-25 13:21 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 07:02
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Info on WF website Jan 29, 2009

Hi Sol,

Here's a useful link: http://www.wordfast.com/products_vltm2.html

Good luck,
Dan

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:02
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well, go and learn! Jan 30, 2009

Read the WF manual (in English).
Read the training guide in French: part 1 , part 2.
Join the WF Yahoo! group or the respective French group.

how do i get ahold of a translation memory with alot of content to make my life alot easier?

Well, you have to work hard and much to accumulate it

[Edited at 2009-01-30 09:21 GMT]

Maria Cristina Vasconcelos
Maria Cristina Vasconcelos  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
wordfast comes with an empty memory Jan 30, 2009

Wordfast has an empty memory. As you save your translations in it, you will be able to have a reference for your fiture tranlations.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two answers Jan 30, 2009

Sol Richardson wrote:
how do i get ahold of a translation memory with alot of content to make my life alot easier? is there somewhere i can download a decent memory from?

I know of no place where you can buy TMs. You can create TMs using "alignment" (read the PlusTools user manual and use PlusTools for that... available from the Wordfast web site. Or you can ask other translators if they'd be willing to share/swap TMs with you.

I suspect VLTM is for hackers -- I haven't been able to get it up and running either, and I'm a registered user.

Eric Hahn (X)
Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
No TMs available Jan 30, 2009

Sol Richardson wrote:
how do i get ahold of a translation memory with alot of content to make my life alot easier? is there somewhere i can download a decent memory from?

You'll have to build it up yourself !

Eric Hahn (X)
Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
VLTM Jan 30, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
I suspect VLTM is for hackers -- I haven't been able to get it up and running either, and I'm a registered user.

I did'nt try, but as far as I know, it's not yet running on Windows Vista.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation memory (wordfast)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »