Thread poster: Tina Vonhof

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2003

Would like to hear from anyone who already has Wordfast - how do you like it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:40
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Unbeatable. Jul 18, 2003

Go and check in the CAT Fight section: http://www.proz.com/?sp=cat/compare
and compare with any other tool. You will find plenty of comments - mostly very favourable to Wordfast.

Cheers,
Magda

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Can't go without Jul 18, 2003

Hi Tina

I use it for litterary translation where there is usually no/very little leverage from past translation, but couldn't live without it!

Its context function (concordance in Trados) can be performed even on the target text. The concordance function allows you to browse thru reference material (almost in any format) stored in a folder. The terminology management system (up to 3 glossaries) and the propagation of gloss terms is something that got me addicted to it (and it's so much easier to figure out and use than Multiterm it's almost unbelievable!).

I have trados 5.0, but the dongle is covered of dust by now...

Give it a try: you can download the trial version (less than 1 Mb! Fully functional but with a limitation on the number of TU you can sotre up in the memory)) and the manual and see for yourself what it offers.

Happy wordfsting!

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 22:40
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Please don´t ask me Jul 19, 2003

Because I am completely biased to Wordfast. It proves that the good things in life are free( or almost free). I cannot understand why so many people opt for expensiver programs. I trust this trend will change in the fuTure.

Please try it in depth and compare! Go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast and get the feeling about the way it behaves.

Regards

Jorge Payan

Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:40
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Yeah, seems unbeatable for me. Jul 19, 2003

Tina Vonhof wrote:

It seems unbeatable for me, because, using it, I really am not thinking about switching over to another CAT tool. Not to say I am closed-minded -- I tried Trados and others, but really Wordfast is good with whatever I need from a CAT tool.

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
English to French
Great Jul 19, 2003

I can't do without. Just the other day, I was on a trip without my computer and one of my regular customers called me up on my cell phone to get a translation done. It was just 2000 words, and the PM wanted me to take it.

I went to a cybercafé, and started working, but without wordfast, I kind of felt lost (A long time I don't use anything else). I even caught myself several times trying to Alt+Down. I had to get wordfast.

And here is the great thing. I could. After 5 mn translating without, I stopped, downloaded the 600kb, installed it, and there I was, 5 mn later and working with my favorite CAT in a cybercafe. What a release! Try THAT with Trados, Transit...

No, really Wordfast is an excellent tool. However, as always, one needs to be confortable with his working environment, so, what I suggest is that you download it, and get used to it. The demo is fully functionnal, and you can actually work with it for quite a while, unlike many other software where the demo is so limited that you can't do a thing. When you are ready for it, all you need to do is to buy a registration number and type it in

Cheers,
Sylvain

If you are interested, I have a beginner's manual online that can help you get started within a couple hours. www.your-translations.com

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jul 19, 2003

Many thanks to all for your comments - I will definitely try it!

babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
French to English
Hi Tina, about Wordfast... Aug 1, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Many thanks to all for your comments - I will definitely try it!

Like yourself, I am also interested in Wordfast. You said on July 19 you would definitely try it. Now I'd like to ask you if I may: how do you like it? Is it user-friendly. Is the user manual easy enough to understand. I've read plenty of user manuals that miss essential steps and then I get stuck.
How are you doing with wordfast. And please tell me what manual you downloaded so I can download it too.
I, too live in Canada, by the way (Montreal), and joined ProZ in March, and have been hearing a lot about Wordfast.
Sharon
(babs is my user name on ProZ

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any comments on Wordfast?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search