https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/128203-wordfast_runs_slow_on_my_new_macbook.html

Wordfast runs slow on my new Macbook
Thread poster: Sharon Sideris
Sharon Sideris
Sharon Sideris  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
German to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2009

I've had a search for this but can't find anything recent. I have had no end of problems since I bought my new MacBook, which was supposed to simplify my life because Vista was always crashing on me. First of all I knew that Wordfast would not run in Word for Mac 2008, so I had to find a 2004. It does work, but slowly! It takes about 5 minutes to open my larger TMs, which opened instantly in Windows, despite more memory, faster processor, etc. It even takes a while to open a segment, and forget... See more
I've had a search for this but can't find anything recent. I have had no end of problems since I bought my new MacBook, which was supposed to simplify my life because Vista was always crashing on me. First of all I knew that Wordfast would not run in Word for Mac 2008, so I had to find a 2004. It does work, but slowly! It takes about 5 minutes to open my larger TMs, which opened instantly in Windows, despite more memory, faster processor, etc. It even takes a while to open a segment, and forget about doing a concordance search. My question is, on the Wordfast website, it says you may need to "optimize" Word to run Wordfast on a Mac. Does anyone know what those optimizations are?Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:03
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
"Does anyone know what those optimizations are?" Feb 22, 2009

As far as I know, and from my personal experience:
- update Ms Office 2004 as much as possible, i.e. with all its updates, inlcuded the latest one a few months ago.
- instal MS Open XML Converter, for xml-based MS formats, in order to enable opening of the MS new file types, and saving into them.

Wordfast for Mac has been greatly improved through 2008, and the last two versions are very functional, but don't expect the speed and behaviour as in Windows.

Dragomir

Sharon Sideris wrote:
... My question is, on the Wordfast website, it says you may need to "optimize" Word to run Wordfast on a Mac. Does anyone know what those optimizations are?

ElleC
ElleC  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
I thought it was incompatible? Feb 22, 2009

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

Wordfast for Mac has been greatly improved through 2008, and the last two versions are very functional, but don't expect the speed and behaviour as in Windows.

I have Word 2008 on Office 2008 on my Mac. I was told by the WordFast salespeople that all versions WordFast are incompatible with Word 2008. They recommended I buy WordFast 6.0, which is a standalone program. I've found it impossible to use, so I threw away $250.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:03
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Totally agree Feb 22, 2009

ElleC wrote:
I've found it impossible to use, so I threw away $250.

Say that again!

Sharon Sideris
Sharon Sideris  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh well Feb 22, 2009

Thanks for the input everyone. I just made an appointment with the Apple Geniuses to have them put Windows Vista onto my Mac so that I can run Wordfast. I can't believe I am doing this because the whole reason I bought the new computer was because I hated Vista so much!

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:03
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
improved through 2008 Feb 22, 2009

I wanted to say: through the year 2008

My first idea was to use Crossover on Mac with Win Word 2002, but there is no support for macros in Crossover, i.e. no Wordfast, but just for the MS Word. I see colleagues using Ms Word with Wordfast on Linux with Crossover, and that is a good idea nowadays, since Linux OS is a saver of older computers today, a very ecological OS.

[quote]ElleC wrote:

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:
I have Word 2008 on Office 2008 on my Mac. I was told by the WordFast salespeople that all versions WordFast are incompatible with Word 2008. They recommended I buy WordFast 6.0, which is a standalone program. I've found it impossible to use, so I threw away $250.

[Edited at 2009-02-22 18:47 GMT]

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Sharon, you've got another kind of problem Feb 22, 2009

Selecting a TM from within the WF dialog is an instant process, independent of the TM size. What does take longer as size increases is reorganization, so I think your problem originates somewhere else, but not in WF.

I've got a clunker of a 1.25 GHz iMac and going from segment to segment takes about .5 seconds, i.e., perfecly workable, which goes up to 1 second when I'm using Google Translate to suggest segments.

Daniel

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:03
Wordfast Hotline Mar 9, 2009

Hi ElleC and Sharon,

Please contact our technical support team through the Wordfast support hotline. We would like the opportunity to troubleshoot any issues that you are having and help you get up and running with Wordfast on your Mac.

[Edited at 2009-03-09 20:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast runs slow on my new Macbook

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »