Thread poster: Johann Gudnason
Johann Gudnason
Johann Gudnason  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 07:24
German to Icelandic
+ ...
Mar 7, 2009

Which Wordfast-version would you pls. recommend for my freelance translation work ?
I am now working in PC but plan to change to MacBookPro.

Regards
Johann G.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wordfast Classic, but for the moment Mar 7, 2009

Hi Johann,

I am not a Wordfast user, but I try to follow the developments related to Wordfast (and other CAT tools). Wordfast has two versions: the Classic (aka the 5 series) and the Pro (it was previously named Wordfast 6).

Well, the Classic version is a good choice for many colleagues. AFAIK, the recent version of Word for Mac causes some problems, so you may have to use an earlier version of Word.

And as for the Pro version, it is still at pre-release
... See more
Hi Johann,

I am not a Wordfast user, but I try to follow the developments related to Wordfast (and other CAT tools). Wordfast has two versions: the Classic (aka the 5 series) and the Pro (it was previously named Wordfast 6).

Well, the Classic version is a good choice for many colleagues. AFAIK, the recent version of Word for Mac causes some problems, so you may have to use an earlier version of Word.

And as for the Pro version, it is still at pre-release status. So you may expect some problems with this version. The good news is that when you buy the PRO version, the Classic is included in the package.

Selcuk
Collapse

ElleC
ElleC  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't do it! Mar 7, 2009

Johann Gudnason wrote:

Which Wordfast-version would you pls. recommend for my freelance translation work ?

Take it from a MAC user, you should wait. The earlier versions of WordFast are not compatible with Word 2008 on a Mac, so they told me to buy WF 6.0. It is very difficult to use and there is no training online or in person for it. Save your $$.

Johann Gudnason
Johann Gudnason  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 07:24
German to Icelandic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments. Mar 7, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Johann,

And as for the Pro version, it is still at pre-release status. So you may expect some problems with this version. The good news is that when you buy the PRO version, the Classic is included in the package.

Selcuk

David Young (X)
David Young (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:24
Danish to English
Wordfast Training Mar 8, 2009

ElleC wrote:

Take it from a MAC user, you should wait. The earlier versions of WordFast are not compatible with Word 2008 on a Mac, so they told me to buy WF 6.0. It is very difficult to use and there is no training online or in person for it. Save your $$.

There was a free Wordfast Pro Webinar on ProZ a couple of weeks back but it went pear-shaped on the day (technical problems with connecting the tutor) and they postponed it 24 hours. But I agree with Elle - I find the Pro version difficult and it looks clumsy. The Classic works fine for me on a PC and does the job.

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:24
Recommended Wordfast version Mar 9, 2009

Johann Gudnason wrote:

Regards
Johann G.

Hi Johann,

When you purchase a Wordfast license, you can use both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro interchangeably. Wordfast Classic is an MS Word-based interface so it runs inside MS Word on Windows, Mac and Linux, but it DOES NOT run in Word 2008 for Mac. Wordfast Pro is a standalone application that runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and does not rely upon MS Word. Therefore, it will run on your new Macbook even if you are running Word 2008.

Please feel free to download and try out both versions of Wordfast for free at http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html . This is a full-featured version that runs without a paid license for translation memories of up to 500 translation units, making it possible to try out both versions on actual translation projects before you decide to purchase. If you decide to purchase a license, your software will be released from demo mode, and it will then support translation memories of any size.

We will also be offering another Wordfast Pro webinar through Proz.com in the upcoming weeks to familiarize you with the features of the tool.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommended Wordfast version

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »