Is it possible to pretranslate a file with an empty Wordfast TM?
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:44
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 10, 2009

Hi everybody,

I am not a Wordfast user, but I would like to know if it is possible, with Wordfast, to create an empty TM
and to pretranslate the source file with that empty TM.

I am asking this question because I could then import that pretranslated file into Deja Vu - by filtering out the (hidden) source text - and create an unclean translation from it, without having to work with Wordfast. The procedure works flawlessly with Trados/Deja Vu and I was hoping it wo
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am not a Wordfast user, but I would like to know if it is possible, with Wordfast, to create an empty TM
and to pretranslate the source file with that empty TM.

I am asking this question because I could then import that pretranslated file into Deja Vu - by filtering out the (hidden) source text - and create an unclean translation from it, without having to work with Wordfast. The procedure works flawlessly with Trados/Deja Vu and I was hoping it would also work with Wordfast/Deja Vu.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Olaf
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:44
French to German
+ ...
Why not? Mar 10, 2009

As long as DV accepts the TMX format, there should be no problem. Just create a new TM, set source and target, pretranslate your text and then "export TM as TMX" with the Tools option>Special filters of the Wordfast editor.

HTH

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-03-10 17:41 GMT]

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:44
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found another solution Mar 19, 2009

Thanks Laurent! What I did was this:

1) Pretranslate the source file with Trados, ticking the option "Segment unknown sentences"
2) Import that file into Deja Vu, ticking the option "Ignore hidden text", and translating it in Deja Vu

The result: a bilingual file whose segments can be opened and edited with Wordfast (and with Trados). The client didn't even notice that I hadn't used Wordfast.

Best,

Olaf

[Edited at 2009-03-19 22:11
... See more
Thanks Laurent! What I did was this:

1) Pretranslate the source file with Trados, ticking the option "Segment unknown sentences"
2) Import that file into Deja Vu, ticking the option "Ignore hidden text", and translating it in Deja Vu

The result: a bilingual file whose segments can be opened and edited with Wordfast (and with Trados). The client didn't even notice that I hadn't used Wordfast.

Best,

Olaf

[Edited at 2009-03-19 22:11 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to pretranslate a file with an empty Wordfast TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »