Is it possible to align Excel files in Wordfast?
Thread poster: Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
French to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2009

Hello,

I've been sent some Excel files in French and English similar to a translation I've been asked to do. But I can't work out how to align them with PlusTools - is the only way to copy the text to a Word file and align it that way?

Many thanks.

Claire

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:44
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Push the Create TM button Apr 2, 2009

Hi Claire,

If you have the two colums in Word, the only thing left to do is to click on the Create TM button of the + Align tab in PlusTools.

Good luck,
Gerard

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel only Apr 2, 2009

Hi Gerard,

That's my problem. I only have the documents in Excel format. What I've done in the meantime is to laboriously copy each block of text from the Excel files (all 9 worksheets in each!) to a Word document for each language and then aligned the two Word documents. That worked fine as I knew it would, but took an awful long time. I just wondered if there was a simpler way to align straight from the Excel files?

Thanks,

Claire

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
PlusToyz by Arkady Vysotsky sometimes works even better Apr 2, 2009

Well, one learns every day.

You could have opened the entire Excel workbook with Word, could have removed the spaces between tables and could have applied PlusTools.

Personally I would have used Arkady Vysotsky's PlusToyz for the job
http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip
PlusToyz is a Word document with some nifty CAT macros incorporated: n
... See more
Well, one learns every day.

You could have opened the entire Excel workbook with Word, could have removed the spaces between tables and could have applied PlusTools.

Personally I would have used Arkady Vysotsky's PlusToyz for the job
http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip
PlusToyz is a Word document with some nifty CAT macros incorporated: no DOT, nothing intrusive. It can - among other features - turn a Word table into Wordfast/Trados segments.

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2009-04-02 23:18 GMT]
Collapse

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Gerard! May 8, 2009

I can't express how grateful I am for your help! Although I did not ask the question here, your reply has just helped me as PlusTools refused to cooperate. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

[Edited at 2009-05-08 18:24 GMT]

Tommaso Benzi
Tommaso Benzi  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 06:44
English to Italian
+ ...
creating a TM in Wf Pro from two Excel files May 12, 2009

Hi,
do you know how to create a TM in WfPro from two Excel files in the same way it used to be done with PlusTools? I cannot get the hang of it.
Many thanks,

Tommaso

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Two methods May 12, 2009

Tommaso Benzi wrote:

Hi,
do you know how to create a TM in WfPro from two Excel files in the same way it used to be done with PlusTools? I cannot get the hang of it.
Many thanks,

Tommaso

PlusTools is used on a two columns Word table.

1) Copy the source text (the whole Excel column) in Word (a table of 1 column). Create a second column in Word, at the right side, and copy the translation (the whole column) in it. Then verify (the cells at the left side should correspond to the cells at the right side, if not use PlusTools, there is a button to combine cells. Then close the Word file and re-open it (for some reason this is important). And create the TM in the way PlsuTools describes.

2) Copy the translated text in Excel at the right of the source text, then copy both columns at the same time in Word (table of two columns). Check the cells and apply PlusTools as above.

[Modifié le 2009-05-12 20:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to align Excel files in Wordfast?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »