Thread poster: Emilie Fahlenkamp
Emilie Fahlenkamp
Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:38
English to Danish
+ ...
Apr 9, 2009

I have received a revised version of a document I translated over a year ago, before I started using Wordfast, and need to translate the changes. Can I use the old source and translated documents, and somehow import them into Wordfast?

Thanks in advance!

Emilie

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:38
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Changes to a document translated before acquiring Wordfast Apr 9, 2009

Hello Emilie,

yes, you can use your source and target files and align them in PlusTools - is it a small macro tool created as a Wordfast accessory. Download it from the Wordfast web site, and install it into the Startup folder where the Wordfast Classic 5.5., resides. In case you don't use Wf Classic, but Wf Pro, then the full path to the said Startup folder will be something like: My Documents-User-Microsoff-Word-Startup.

Star aligning two files and use the proposed sh
... See more
Hello Emilie,

yes, you can use your source and target files and align them in PlusTools - is it a small macro tool created as a Wordfast accessory. Download it from the Wordfast web site, and install it into the Startup folder where the Wordfast Classic 5.5., resides. In case you don't use Wf Classic, but Wf Pro, then the full path to the said Startup folder will be something like: My Documents-User-Microsoff-Word-Startup.

Star aligning two files and use the proposed shortcuts in order to accelerate the process. Save the final file, giving proper language identification, like for example: EN-GB : FR-FR. In case one of your languages is not a WE one, then save the TM under text Unicode. Use the TM in Wordfast as a current TM for the project.

As for accelerating the translation of the new file, instead of (pre-)translating it fully once again through Wf, you migh try to compare new and old file and extract the very new part and translate it only.

That's it, salud, Dk.

Emilie Fahlenkamp wrote:

I have received a revised version of a document I translated over a year ago, before I started using Wordfast, and need to translate the changes. Can I use the old source and translated documents, and somehow import them into Wordfast?

Thanks in advance!

Emilie

[Edited at 2009-04-09 05:28 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
PlusTools Apr 9, 2009

Emilie Fahlenkamp wrote:
Can I use the old source and translated documents, and somehow import them into Wordfast?

See here: http://www.proz.com/topic/132298

Emilie Fahlenkamp
Emilie Fahlenkamp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:38
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha! Thanks. Apr 9, 2009

Thanks for the tip Dragomir, I will take a look at PlusTols. And Samuel, I didn't realise that it is called alignment, so thanks for the thread, it's most useful.

Emilie

[Edited at 2009-04-09 15:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changes to a document translated before acquiring Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »