Are .txml files compatible with WF 5.5/Classic?
Thread poster: Rachel Gorney

Rachel Gorney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:55
French to English
Apr 30, 2009

Hello,

Is it possible to work with TXML files with Wordfast 5.5/Classic?

Today, a client has sent me a project in TXML file format along with a TM. I do not yet know how to use WF Pro, so I would like to stick with WF Classic, but when I run the TXML files in Word, they are filled with HTML code to the point that it's practically impossible to work with them. It's hard to find/see the translatable segments.

Is there a way to translate these files without using WF Pro?

If not, I am prepared to use WF Pro, but I can't find any online support to learn how to use it!! Does one exist?? I tried the link http://www.wordfast.com/Wordfast_T/Wordfast_6_Help.htm, but the contents and index buttons do not work, so I cannot access the contents!

To complicate matters, I have downloaded WF Pro, but am unable to install the free upgrade since I cannot find the "license file" in .lic format on my computer (I do have a WF Classic license/invoice). I have sent a message to Wordfast support and am waiting for a response. In the meantime, I've just got the trial version installed.

Any help you can offer on either using TXML files in Word or figuring out how to use and upgrade to WF Pro would be greatly appreciated.

-Rachel

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Ideas Apr 30, 2009

Hi Rachel,

You may be the first person to have attempted to translate txml files in WFC! I suppose there is some workaround with a personalized tag list, but isn't that making things too complicated? I think you would need some experience with xml files in WFC in order to get that to work. It would probably be easier to learn WFP in one day than to attempt to translate in WFC. That's just my opinionicon_wink.gif

As for the help link, it works just fine for me here. Maybe you should try it in another browser?

For the .lic file, sorry I can't remember how I got mine, seems like it came with the download... support should help you figure that out.

Alternate solution: get the client to send the original source files (not txml) and you should be able to use the TM, as the .txt TMs are compatible with WFC.

Rachel Gorney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
IE/Firefox Apr 30, 2009

Indeed, using IE instead of Firefox is the answer to using the WFPro manual, so thank you Lori for the suggestion!

I am managing to use WFPro to do this project, but still in the trial version.

The Wordfast website does not recognize my email address, so I can't login to request my .lic file. Luckily I still have my initial invoice, so I do have proof that I purchased the license and can still access my info on the ShareIt payment site.

When I attempt to recover my password, I get the message "Sorry, you did not record a test question. Please contact the hotline." But of course, impossible to login to request a test question. Frustrating.

I sent an inquiry via the hotline, and am waiting for a response.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:55
Licensing Wordfast Pro May 4, 2009

Hi Rachel,

I sent you an email with your login information. This should get you into our support system so you can get your Wordfast Pro license. The instructions on how to license Wordfast Pro can be found here - www.wordfast.com/support_relicensewfp.html

In regards to supporting documentation, in addition to the help pages, you can also view our online training videos at - http://www.wordfast.com/support_learning.html

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Info on txml files May 9, 2009

Another thread explaining txml files

Wordfast Pro 2.0 and TXML files
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/130294-how_to_create_a_wordfast_pro_unclean_file.html#1110371

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are .txml files compatible with WF 5.5/Classic?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search