WordFast Pro: interface language and files supported
Thread poster: René VINCHON

René VINCHON  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Apr 30, 2009

Hi all,

I just installed WordFast Pro on my computer (licensed version).

Can somebody answer to that two questions :

1) I find no way to have the interface in another language than english (in my case I would like french). Can somebody confirm/infirm WordFast Pro is only available in english ?

2) It appears that WFP can't treat rtf files. Same: can somebody confirm/infirm ?

Thanks in advance - René (disappointed)

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:33
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Confirmation Apr 30, 2009

Both are confirmed. Wordfast Pro as it is now resembles an alpha-version program. We paid for a program to help us do our job, they provided us with advertising fanfare.

France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answer Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for your answer.

Happy to see that there are still some people in the translation business that keep a sens of criticism.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:33
Wordfast Classic for RTF May 1, 2009

Hi René ,

I just wanted to let you know that as a Wordfast license holder, you are also entitled to install and run Wordfast Classic free of charge. Just login to the support system at www.wordfast.com and click on license an application. You can then use Wordfast classic to handle your RTF files.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, it's not a mature versione yet May 1, 2009

in my opinion.

I have downloaded it two or three months ago and still am not able to use it because there is no detailed manual. Wordfast anyway (I used the classic version for several years now) is available only in English, but as far as WFP is concerned, that's not the main problem, unfortunately, at least for me:-(

Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Mature? It's an infant! May 2, 2009

Well said, Christel. In fact, I totally ditched Wordfast Pro and downloaded Across for Freelancers, which is free (it would cost 1,500 dollars!) and is more than you'll ever need as a translator. And, oh, the upcoming version of SDL Trados (2009), as far as I could see, mimics the environment of Across.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Please base criticism on current version May 2, 2009

Christel Zipfel wrote:
I have downloaded it two or three months ago and still am not able to use it...

Well, a new version has come out in the mean time -- perhaps the new version is perfect for you (or not). Either way, it is important to base one's criticism on the current version (unless a version number is stated). We have the same problem with OmT -- people are still giving [negative] reviews about it based on the version they downloaded two years ago... tsk tsk.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Even so, it is being used... and required May 2, 2009

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
Mature? It's an infant!

Still, I have heard from colleagues that they have had agency clients require the use of WFP already (not WFC), so there must be some pickup in the industry already. This is because WFP has a proprietary bilingual file format that works well with a certain workflow.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In what world would something cost $1500 if it is free? May 2, 2009

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
...and downloaded Across for Freelancers, which is free (it would cost 1,500 dollars!) and is more than you'll ever need as a translator.

If it is free, then it is free. I mean, how would they calculate the figure of $1500? It may be worth $1500 to you in terms of cost-savings or production increase but surely one cannot quantify a product's generic worth for a global audience in that way.

And, oh, the upcoming version of SDL Trados (2009), as far as I could see, mimics the environment of Across.

You mean, SDL Trados 2009 will also be a 670 MB download for the "freelance" version?

Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Ridiculous May 2, 2009

I said it mimics the "environment". Don't pretend you don't understand.

As for the price, go check their site: before they gave it out for free, its price was about 1,500 USD. Try it first and you'll agree that it could certainly justify its price.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I had downloaded WFP 2.2.0 May 2, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, a new version has come out in the mean time -- perhaps the new version is perfect for you (or not). Either way, it is important to base one's criticism on the current version (unless a version number is stated). We have the same problem with OmT -- people are still giving [negative] reviews about it based on the version they downloaded two years ago... tsk tsk.

Yes, you are right, I should have stated the version. Anyway, I am still not able to use it. I feel like a dummy, but I am not. We have been left a bit alone here.

And then, as long as download is concerned:

Samuel Murray wrote:
You mean, SDL Trados 2009 will also be a 670 MB download for the "freelance" version?

...to download 60 MB for each update seems exaggerated to me. I have broadband, but not everyone does.

France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, but... May 5, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Hi René ,

I just wanted to let you know that as a Wordfast license holder, you are also entitled to install and run Wordfast Classic free of charge. Just login to the support system at www.wordfast.com and click on license an application. You can then use Wordfast classic to handle your RTF files.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for the idea, but the problem is so: I have Wordfast Classic licence, tha'ts precisely why Worffast offered me, as they do now, to use Wordfast Pro.

So why don't I use WFC ? Because it's really unstable. It changes some settings of Word that I needs, without notice.

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 20:33
Word file detected as rtf May 5, 2009

TTV wrote:

2) It appears that WFP can't treat rtf files. Same: can somebody confirm/infirm ?

Yesterday I tried to open a normal word file (Office 97-03) with Wordfast Pro, but Wordfast told me "invalid file format detected. error: rtf ". After I saved the file again under a different name, Wordfast could work on it.

Donna Lynne Galletta  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
let's not be so negative May 5, 2009

I just downloaded wordfast professional this morning and I have been playing with it all day

while there is no manual available (negative), it is a very intuitive program (positive)
I have managed to do test translations in .doc, .ppt and .xls formats
with success

I am sure there is still alot of tweaking to do, but all considered, it's not that bad!

France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not negative May 6, 2009

I'm not negative, I just consider it's a pity that a paying "translator aid tool"

1) cannot deal with rtf files

2) doe'snt offer a french interface, for a tool developped by a french man +:). Anyway, I'm sure they would find a lot of translators who would like to be paid to do that +:)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Pro: interface language and files supported

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search