First key blank when two documents open in Word (Yes, I have activated all PB options)
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:30
Italian to English
+ ...
May 12, 2009

I'm using WF 5.53q with Word 2003. I've activated all three FirstKey options in Pandora's box. Quite simply, if I have two documents open in Word (as I'd like to have now, to check a translation against a revision of a similar text I did a while back), I get the first key blank problem. As soon as I close the second document, everything works fine.

Any ideas - apart from closing the second document, of course?

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No one can help then? May 13, 2009

I've noticed today that the problem isn't only with the keyboard - the first click of the mouse for cursor positioning is also ignored. Again, as soon as I close the second document everything works normally.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
French to English
If this was kudoz, it would have confidence level 1 May 13, 2009

I use Wordfast in the most basic of ways, and have no idea what FirstKey is.

However, since the problem appears to be having 2 Word documents open, then logically one solution would be to have only 1 Word document open.

Is it impractical to suggest that you open the second document you are using only as a reference in another application, such as Word Pad?

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Charlie May 14, 2009

It seems that no one else has experienced this problem (or they have but don't know how to resolve it). I suppose I'll just have to adopt your solution - opening the reference doc in Notepad or some such.

The First Key Blank problem is a known bug caused by some incompatibility between given versions of WF and Word. Basically, when you open a new segment and start typing, it doesn't pick up the first character you type (whatever that may be). There are three options in Pandora's Box that specifically address this problem.

Anyway, if you've not experienced it it's probably because you've got a pre- or post-bug version of WF (or Word). So you don't need to worry about it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First key blank when two documents open in Word (Yes, I have activated all PB options)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search