How do I unsegment a file?
Thread poster: Susan Nicholls

Susan Nicholls  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
French to English
+ ...
May 19, 2009

Hello everybody, I was playing with a free download of Wordfast which I downloaded some time ago and segmented the text I am working on (without having read the instruction manual of course) by pressing the Translate button to see what would happen. Now I have cold feet and want to get out of Wordfast and so back to my old dinosaur ways. But I don't know how to get rid of all the segmenting stuff that has turned up in my text which somehow has got saved (I know, I know...). I don't know what version of Wordfast it is, I'm sorry. This problem is so basic perhaps it doesn't matter (I hope). I should add the text is half translated. All this was the work of a millisecond! Sorry this is such a stupid question. My mind has gone completely blank with panic. Can anybody help? Thank you!

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:10
French to English
ALT DEL May 19, 2009

First make a copy of the file in case things go wrong.

Now, with no segments open - press ALT DEL and you should get a pop-up message asking you to confirm if you want to restore to source text only. Say yes.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing's happening! May 19, 2009

Oh, such a relief when I read your simple advice. Tried it, and...nothing's happening! No pop-up window, I'm afraid. You wouldn't have any other ideas, would you?

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:10
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Is it "plugged in"? May 19, 2009

I guess there is no harm in asking: was Wordfast running when you tried the solution proposed by Lori?

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ummm, where's the plug? May 19, 2009

Now that's a good question. How would I check? (Letting me loose with Wordfast was a bit like giving a three-year-old a chainsaw).

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah it worked!!! May 19, 2009

Started up the chainsaw and pressed Alt+delete, it all worked beautifully and you have saved my life. Or at least a rather erudite text on policing towns in the eighteenth century. I can't believe I was so stupid to play with something important. Abject thanks to you both for your insight and patience.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:10
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Always... May 19, 2009

... work with a copy. If something goes wrong, just delete the file and redo it from TM to the point of change...

Leonardo MILANI  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:10
French to Portuguese
+ ...
For Mac Users May 4, 2012

Please notice that for mac users you should use:

ALT+DEL+FN

It only worked for me like that and, who knows ? maybe other Mac users have the same problem.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
Finnish to French
Del = Fn+Backspace on a Mac May 5, 2012

Leonardo MILANI wrote:
Please notice that for mac users you should use:

ALT+DEL+FN

It only worked for me like that and, who knows ? maybe other Mac users have the same problem.

You probably mean Alt+Fn+Backspace, since there's no Del key on a Mac keyboard AFAIK.

You may also want to have a look at the following article: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=97-27

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I unsegment a file?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search