How do I unsegment a file?
Thread poster: Susan Nicholls

Susan Nicholls  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:32
French to English
+ ...
May 19, 2009

Hello everybody, I was playing with a free download of Wordfast which I downloaded some time ago and segmented the text I am working on (without having read the instruction manual of course) by pressing the Translate button to see what would happen. Now I have cold feet and want to get out of Wordfast and so back to my old dinosaur ways. But I don't know how to get rid of all the segmenting stuff that has turned up in my text which somehow has got saved (I know, I know...). I don't know what version of Wordfast it is, I'm sorry. This problem is so basic perhaps it doesn't matter (I hope). I should add the text is half translated. All this was the work of a millisecond! Sorry this is such a stupid question. My mind has gone completely blank with panic. Can anybody help? Thank you!

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:32
French to English
ALT DEL May 19, 2009

First make a copy of the file in case things go wrong.

Now, with no segments open - press ALT DEL and you should get a pop-up message asking you to confirm if you want to restore to source text only. Say yes.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing's happening! May 19, 2009

Oh, such a relief when I read your simple advice. Tried it, and...nothing's happening! No pop-up window, I'm afraid. You wouldn't have any other ideas, would you?

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:32
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Is it "plugged in"? May 19, 2009

I guess there is no harm in asking: was Wordfast running when you tried the solution proposed by Lori?

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ummm, where's the plug? May 19, 2009

Now that's a good question. How would I check? (Letting me loose with Wordfast was a bit like giving a three-year-old a chainsaw).

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah it worked!!! May 19, 2009

Started up the chainsaw and pressed Alt+delete, it all worked beautifully and you have saved my life. Or at least a rather erudite text on policing towns in the eighteenth century. I can't believe I was so stupid to play with something important. Abject thanks to you both for your insight and patience.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:32
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Always... May 19, 2009

... work with a copy. If something goes wrong, just delete the file and redo it from TM to the point of change...

Leonardo MILANI  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:32
French to Portuguese
+ ...
For Mac Users May 4, 2012

Please notice that for mac users you should use:

ALT+DEL+FN

It only worked for me like that and, who knows ? maybe other Mac users have the same problem.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
Finnish to French
Del = Fn+Backspace on a Mac May 5, 2012

Leonardo MILANI wrote:
Please notice that for mac users you should use:

ALT+DEL+FN

It only worked for me like that and, who knows ? maybe other Mac users have the same problem.

You probably mean Alt+Fn+Backspace, since there's no Del key on a Mac keyboard AFAIK.

You may also want to have a look at the following article: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=97-27

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I unsegment a file?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search