Rename TMs and glossaries
Thread poster: xxxwonita

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 10:51
May 22, 2009

Meanwhile I'v had quite several TMs and glossaries. I am thinking of renaming them with unified names. But since there are other files relating to TMs and glossaries, is it risky to do so?

Will the names of other related files change automatically after renaming .txt files?

[Edited at 2009-05-22 08:23 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
For WF 3-5 May 22, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:
I am thinking of renaming [my TMs and glossaries] with unified names. But since there are other files relating to TMs and glossaries, is it risky to do so?

The TM files have a TXT extension. Other files along with the TM (bak, old, itx) are generated automatically by Wordfast in their absense. In fact, you don't need to keep those files at all. And you can rename the TM if you want. I suspect it is only if you link documents to a TM, that there may be a problem, or if you save a separate INI file for every client, that there may be a problem. Ditto the glossary files -- they are TXT files and can be renamed safely. This advice applies to WF 3, 4 and 5.

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
In that case, May 22, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
Other files along with the TM (bak, old, itx) are generated automatically by Wordfast in their absense. In fact, you don't need to keep those files at all.

It would also be safe to move the .txt TMs to different folders.

When I started with WF last year, I had no system at all, as to how to name the files and where to save the them. Now I will do a general clean.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I regularly move my TMs around May 22, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:
It would also be safe to move the .txt TMs to different folders.

Yes. When I get a new job from the same client in the same field, I move the TM from the old jobs folder into the new one. With WF, you select the TM by name. In some other programs, you can select the location of the TM only, but then other files have to be present as well. And in some programs (eg OmegaT) you can't even customise where the TM is kept at all -- you just have to accept where the program puts it. But with WF you can rename it safely, move it safely, copy it safely etc.

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
I would have done the same, May 22, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes. When I get a new job from the same client in the same field, I move the TM from the old jobs folder into the new one. With WF, you select the TM by name. In some other programs, you can select the location of the TM only, but then other files have to be present as well. And in some programs (eg OmegaT) you can't even customise where the TM is kept at all -- you just have to accept where the program puts it. But with WF you can rename it safely, move it safely, copy it safely etc.

if I had known it is safe.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Yes it is safe May 22, 2009

As Samual says, keep only the .txt files. You can rename them and move them around as you wish. But keep related TMs in the same folder: Context Search only looks in TMs which are located in the same folder.

And: once you have a structure, save the TMs regularly on an external disk. They are you working capital.

xxxwonita
China
TOPIC STARTER
I will follow your advice May 23, 2009

NMR wrote:
But keep related TMs in the same folder: Context Search only looks in TMs which are located in the same folder.

And: once you have a structure, save the TMs regularly on an external disk. They are you working capital.

Thanks.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Rename TMs and glossaries May 25, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

And in some programs (eg OmegaT) you can't even customise where the TM is kept at all -- you just have to accept where the program puts it.

OmegaT is designed for use with what could be described as import and export TMs, and with multiple legacy TMs. The concept of "the TM" (i.e. there is only one) isn't consistent with OmegaT's underlying design.

Contrary to what Samuel says, you can put legacy TMs (i.e. TMs from past projects) wherever you like in OmegaT. You select the location when you set up the project, and you can change it retrospectively. You can also use any number of legacy TMs; the only requirement is that they be in the same folder, the location of which the user is free to choose.

You can't change the location of the project's "internal" TM, but that is a TM associated with the specific project, so not surprisingly it has a location within the project structure; and in the original design of OmegaT, this "internal" TM was not a user file, so its location was irrelevant to the user.

You can't change the location of TMs exported from the project (yet).

Marc

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not contrary May 25, 2009

Marc P wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
And in some programs (eg OmegaT) you can't even customise where the TM is kept at all -- you just have to accept where the program puts it.

Contrary to what Samuel says, you can put legacy TMs (i.e. TMs from past projects) wherever you like in OmegaT.

I did not say anything about reference TMs, so there is no "contrary". My post related to the active TM, i.e. the one that translations are being added to and from which 100% matches are automatically inserted. Any other type of TM isn't really "translation memory" at all, although we use the term "TM" for the files. For example, OmegaT's /tm/ folder feature is actually just a sophisticated reference search system that happens to share a pane with matches from the real TM. You can't leverage from it.

You can't change the location of the project's "internal" TM, but that is a TM associated with the specific project, so not surprisingly it has a location within the project structure; and in the original design of OmegaT, this "internal" TM was not a user file, so its location was irrelevant to the user.

In some CAT tools, you can't even change the location of reference TMs (and you have no control over which reference TMs are consulted), and the developers call this an improvement over existing systems... (not talking about OmT here).

[Edited at 2009-05-25 13:28 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
my 2 cents May 25, 2009

Marc P wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

OmegaT is designed for use with what could be described as import and export TMs, and with multiple legacy TMs. The concept of "the TM" (i.e. there is only one) isn't consistent with OmegaT's underlying design.

Contrary to what Samuel says, you can put legacy TMs (i.e. TMs from past projects) wherever you like in OmegaT. You select the location when you set up the project, and you can change it retrospectively. You can also use any number of legacy TMs; the only requirement is that they be in the same folder, the location of which the user is free to choose.

You can't change the location of TMs exported from the project (yet).

Marc

Whichever way you twist it, limiting what the user can do is just that: limiting what the user can do. I see no added value in the gimmick OmegaT calls the "projects" system, only tying the user's hands.
I think we can leave behind anyone who is not capable of keeping track of their own TMs and allow the others to set up their "projects" whichever way they damn well please.
IMO software with rigidly defined locations/filenames is kiddie stuff... adults usually prefer to take care of their own files, and most CATs allow you to do that as a matter of course.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
All CAT tools have uncustomisable file locations May 25, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:
Whichever way you twist it, limiting what the user can do is just that: limiting what the user can do. ... IMO software with rigidly defined locations/filenames is kiddie stuff... adults usually prefer to take care of their own files, and most CATs allow you to do that as a matter of course.

I do believe that there comes a point at which a developer can reasonably expect a user to be satisfied with the location he chooses for the user's files. For some files, the need to customise the location may be more important than for others. Enforcing a certain naming scheme may in some cases also be a technique to limit helpdesk calls from people who had over-customised and are now lost.

In Wordfast, you can't set the location of the TM index files -- they are automatically located in the same folder as the raw TM files.

Both Idiom and Transit saves most of the user files in very specific, un-customisable locations. In fact, I had used Idiom for over a year before I figured out where the files were stored. If I had been offered the choice of location I would certainly have selected a different location from the one Idiom's developers had chosen.

I'm sure Trados and DVX stores at least some of its files in /Documents and Settings/ without giving the user any choice in the matter.

The automatic project folder system in OmegaT actually saves a lot of time -- it creates a folder tree in an instant with all the required items already selected (but you can customise most of the most common items, if you want). Some items can't be customised (eg the location of spell checker ignore lists, the location of segment export files, the location of the active translation memory, the location of the statistics file, the location of the exported TMs, and a few others). With all CAT tools, the trick is in merging the CAT tool's limitations with your own.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rename TMs and glossaries

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search