Is it possible to make a batch clean-up of many Word files with Wordfast?
Thread poster: alfredn

alfredn
Local time: 19:39
English to Polish
+ ...
May 28, 2009

Hi all,
I need to make a clean-up of the large number (over 100) of Word files. Cleaning them up one by one in Wordfast would be very inconvenient. Is there any way to make a batch clean-up of many files. I mean something like "select many files-click-and wait until all are cleaned up". Is that manageable in Wordfast ?

Any pointers ?,

thank you in advance,

alfredn

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-29 01:28 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-29 01:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:39
Spanish to English
Yes May 29, 2009

I have never done it with quite so many files, because I haven't needed to. But all you have to do is open all the word documents you want to clean (and no other irrelevant word files) and when you press the TOOLS tab, you will see them all there with a ticked box beside them. Then press CLEAN-UP.

And bob's your uncle.

This is even good for getting a quick word count.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Theoretically, yes May 29, 2009

alfredn wrote:
I need to make a clean-up of the large number (over 100) of Word files. Cleaning them up one by one in Wordfast would be very inconvenient. Is there any way to make a batch clean-up of many files.

Yes, but you have to use the cleanup function in the Wordfast control panel and not simply the Quick Clean button on the Wordfast toolbar. The Wordfast user manual explains it in detail. The Quick Clean button cleans only the current file, but you can clean several files (probably hundreds) via the Wordfast control panel.

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:39
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Explanation for Wordfast v.5 and MS Word 2003 May 29, 2009

- Open Word,
- close the empty document of Word, which appears on the initial opening,
- unfold Wordfast,
- select f-like icon (it should be the last one),
- click "Tools",
- click in the space between the word "Tools" and the window, where normally the files appear,
- an "Open" dialog window appears,
- go to the folder, where the files are
- select one of the files inside this folder
- click "Open"
- now all the files from this folder should be loaded inside the window
- click "Clean-up" from the the left row buttons.

I hope that helps.

BR,
Michael

alfredn
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's precisely what I needed ! May 30, 2009

Thank you Mihail,
That's precisely what I needed !
Although at last I used a different method of opening many files and then cleaning them up, "your" method has an evident advantage of not being limited by the size of operating memory. My files were quite small but still I was able to open only about 40 at the time. This reduced the number of batch clean-ups to four, which is definitely better then cleaning 150 files one by one, but still inferior to selecting all files at once.

I've even found the reference to "your" method in WF manual but still it looks a little obscure to me. I would never ever find the place where one should click to select the proper folder. All that resembled the hidden features in some computer games where you needed to shoot at the second brick on the left of the door in the 7-th row above the floor to get an extra munition

Thank you,

alfredn

[Zmieniono 2009-05-30 13:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to make a batch clean-up of many Word files with Wordfast?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search