Thread poster: wiltom
wiltom
wiltom
France
Local time: 11:24
French to English
Jun 1, 2009

Hello,

I have translated a document from French to English using the WordFast macro in word. The index page was generated automatically by Word in the original but when I tried to update' the index at the end of the translation I get the following message 'Erreur ! Aucune entrée de table des matières n'a été trouvée.' Which basically means that Word hasn't found any Index fields to insert in to the index page. I have checked that all the titles and sub-titles and headings are
... See more
Hello,

I have translated a document from French to English using the WordFast macro in word. The index page was generated automatically by Word in the original but when I tried to update' the index at the end of the translation I get the following message 'Erreur ! Aucune entrée de table des matières n'a été trouvée.' Which basically means that Word hasn't found any Index fields to insert in to the index page. I have checked that all the titles and sub-titles and headings are correctly formatted, I have have even reformatted all of them but I still can't generate the Index page.

Has anyone any idea where I've gone wrong? Or even better, how I can fix the problem!

Thanky

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-01 14:19 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:24
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Show field codes Jun 1, 2009

Have you retained the field codes for the index entries in the main text?

wiltom
wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Field codes Jun 1, 2009

Yes I have retained the field codes. I use the French version of Word and I'm fairly sure you are referring to the 'Mise en style' so yes!

I'm using Word 2002 and I'm beginning to think that it is a problem with Word and not WordFast. The field codes are all there, I even reformatted all the fields (gave them new names etc) but still no luck generating the Index page.

The only idea that I have is that I 'cleaned up' the document with WordFast before I generated the new
... See more
Yes I have retained the field codes. I use the French version of Word and I'm fairly sure you are referring to the 'Mise en style' so yes!

I'm using Word 2002 and I'm beginning to think that it is a problem with Word and not WordFast. The field codes are all there, I even reformatted all the fields (gave them new names etc) but still no luck generating the Index page.

The only idea that I have is that I 'cleaned up' the document with WordFast before I generated the new Index page. Could this be the problem?

I could type the index page quicker myself but I'd prefer it to be automatic in case the client (or anyone else) needs to change it in the future.
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Is it the table of contents? Jun 2, 2009

Not the same thing as an index!

Assuming it is the table of contents, your version of Word is probably looking for style names in French and the corresponding styles in the document are in another language.

Right click on the Table of Contents and select "Edit field" (or whatever that is in French!). That will bring up a dialog that has a button called "Table of Contents" on the right side. Click that button and you will see what style names it is expecting.

... See more
Not the same thing as an index!

Assuming it is the table of contents, your version of Word is probably looking for style names in French and the corresponding styles in the document are in another language.

Right click on the Table of Contents and select "Edit field" (or whatever that is in French!). That will bring up a dialog that has a button called "Table of Contents" on the right side. Click that button and you will see what style names it is expecting.

If it is looking for something in French, leave the document alone and the owner will be able to create the TOC using a version of Word in their own language.

Terry.
Collapse

wiltom
wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it is the table of contents! Jun 2, 2009

Thankyou for reply Terry. The light dawned on me this morning, after several attempts over the week-end, that it is indeed a Table of Contents and not an Index. I was getting myself a wee bit confused, obviously I shouldn't try and work the weekends!

I think what fooled me was that when I clicked right on the CONTENTS table and the pop-up asked if I wanted to update, I just clicked yes (which has always worked before!) but this time didn't. This morning, when I started thinking s
... See more
Thankyou for reply Terry. The light dawned on me this morning, after several attempts over the week-end, that it is indeed a Table of Contents and not an Index. I was getting myself a wee bit confused, obviously I shouldn't try and work the weekends!

I think what fooled me was that when I clicked right on the CONTENTS table and the pop-up asked if I wanted to update, I just clicked yes (which has always worked before!) but this time didn't. This morning, when I started thinking straight, I deleted the old contents table and inserted a new one, obviously inserting a contents table and not an index!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when generating Index page using WordFast macro - help needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »