Moving from WordFast > Trados or from Trados > Wordfast
Thread poster: Comunican

Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

I have been using WordFast for a couple of years now and am now pretty much committed to using a translation tool - even though I almost never get 100% matchesicon_frown.gif

One of the things I like about WordFast is that it is not overly jam-packed with features that I will never use. I also like the fact that it does not take up huge amounts of space on my computer. And generally it does not interfere too much with the rest of my PC and packages.

However, WordFast is not the most intuitive of software packages and I frequently encounter minor technical problems and inconsistencies (especially when "upgrading" to a new version). Reluctantly, I'm beginning to think that I should change to something more solid, reliable and consistent.

As a result of an immensely frustrating trial a couple of years ago, I wouldn't touch Déjà Vu with anybody else's keyboard, let alone my own! So that only really leaves the big, cumbersome, complicated, semi-monopolistic Trados....

I would be interested to know if anybody has moved from WordFast to Trados (or from Trados to WordFast) - and why. Also, whether they were pleased with the move, and what differences they encountered - particularly in terms of usability and technical hassle.

Or maybe it's just that all software behaves inconsistently and causes frustration, and I'm expecting too much (it has been known!)icon_smile.gif

Many thanks

PS One other thing: do Trados and Dragon Naturally Speaking work well together?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem when switching Jun 8, 2009

I use both Wf 5.5 and SDL Trados 2007, sometimes also SDLX and Transit. For normal Office-documents Wordfast is best, but otherwise I use what the customer needs (readily converted documents). When using Trados Tageditor you can translate also more complicated Word-documents, where Wf is not so good.
But Wf is easier to use and the documentation is quite ok compared to the thousands of pages you get with Trados.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving from WordFast > Trados or from Trados > Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search