Wordfast skips a whole page of source text (Table of contents)
Thread poster: A. Patricia Pedraza

A. Patricia Pedraza  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:39
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2009

Hello everyone,
I am working with Wordfast classic. The 3rd page of the source document in MSWord is the table of contents.
Wordfast skips right through it and underlines it with the tiny purple dots that it assigns to the text that will be cleaned at the end of the translation.
Why is this happening?
How do I change this to be able to translate it within the Wordfast document?

MSWORD 2007 - File in Compatability Mode (Source is a previous word version)
Windows Vista Premium
Wordfast Classic

Thanks in advance for the help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:39
French to English
+ ...
Automatic Jun 16, 2009

Hi Patricia,

This has come up before as a query, but I know it's not always easy to find the right answers! This is to do with Word, not Wordfast really. If you ignore the ToC as you translate, then at the end, when you've translated the individual headings in the body of the text, go back to the ToC page, right click at the side of the table. you should bring up a box which allows you to update the TOC, either just the page nos or all the text. Click on Update text and the whole table should update with your translations. You can do this before you clean up, check your document, then update the ToC again if you've made any changes and clean as normal.

Hope this helps!

Claire

A. Patricia Pedraza  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:39
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Claire, Jun 16, 2009

Thanks Claire, I looked hoping to find the answer and did not see this topic.
Maybe I need to learn how to query the forums, which honestly I do not know how to do well, I simply scrolled down the different headings, and did not find it.
I am more at ease now that I know the way to handle it once I finish the translation of the rest of the document.
Have a good day!
Patricia

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:39
French to English
+ ...
Link Jun 16, 2009

Hi Patricia,

Not a problem! Here's the link to the previous query:

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/129305-wordfast_skipping_text_in_word_2007_using_vista.html

I suppose much depends on how the previous asker phrased his query. In this case the problem wasn't actually to do with Vista, so probably wouldn't have come up in your search!

Adrien Esparron
Local time: 15:39
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
A ToC is a field Jun 16, 2009

and WF ignores it. Just update the ToC when the translation is done. Right click the ToC and update. The different title levels will be restored in the target language.

Nothing else.

Kind regards

Irene De Han  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
English to German
+ ...
I am also experiencing a problem with Word Fast Jun 16, 2009

When I open my document and initiate Word Fast by clicking the Add-ins tab the Word Fast menu bar appears. But as soon as I make my entry it disappears again. Every time a make a new entry I have to click on the Add-ins tab again. This has never happened before. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Thank you.
Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast skips a whole page of source text (Table of contents)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search