Ignoring highlighted text
Thread poster: Terry Richards

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 13:40
French to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2009

I have a document with several thousand programming variable names in it that are not to be translated. All of these variables are highlighted (in turquoise of all things, but that's another story). I can simply alt-S to copy them over but is there a better way that doesn't fill up my TM with all this crud? Some way of telling WordFast to ignore turquoise?

TIA,

Terry.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
French to English
+ ...
One possibility Jun 19, 2009

Hi Terry,

All I can think of is doing a find and replace all for highlighted text (assuming turquoise is the only highlighting?) via Find Format Highlight Replace all and changing it to marching red ants by clicking on Format, Text effects, Marching red ants and set Marching red ants as an untranslatable attribute in Wordfast's Set-up Segments menu. That worked when I just tried it but of course it will only be of any use if the codes are recognised as separate segments.

Claire

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Marching red ants Jun 19, 2009

Terry Richards wrote:
I have a document with several thousand programming variable names in it that are not to be translated. All of these variables are highlighted (in turquoise of all things, but that's another story).

1. Press Ctrl+H
2. Click "More"
3. In the Find box, type an asterisk
4. Ensure that your cursor is in the Find box, and then click Format > Highlight
5. Put your cursor in the Replace field
6. Click Format > Font > Text Effects > Marching Red Ants
7. Select "Use wildcards"
8. Replace all.

The highlighted text should now still be highlighted (because highlights and animated text are different types of text effects) but they should have marching red ants around them. You can disable the *display* of the ants in MS Word, via Tools > Options > View, and deselect "Animated Text".

In Wordfast, go Setup > Segments, and select the marching red ants option.

Before you send the file to your client, select all (Ctrl+A) and then go Format > Font > Text Effects > None, otherwise the clients gets a file with marching red ants.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A limitation of MS Word Jun 19, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:
...(assuming turquoise is the only highlighting?)

Yes. A limitation of MS Word is that you can't do a search for a specific colour of highlight. If you search for "highlighted" text, it will find all highlighted text regardless of colour, and if you specify "highlight" in the Replace box, it will recolour all highlights to the currently selected colour. Annoying. So don't specify "highlight" in the Replace box.

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect! Jun 20, 2009

That's exactly what I wanted, thanks to everybody that answered, you just saved me an enormous amount of work.

Terry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ignoring highlighted text

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search