How do you delete a source segment in WordFast ?
Thread poster: Sophie Gesbert

Sophie Gesbert  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:32
English to French
Jun 19, 2009

I have had customers who changed their source file while I was translating.
However, I could not find a way to edit or even delete a segment in WordFast. To be honest, I was a bit scared to damage the file I was working on, and did not do much experiment.
I feel the source segments are protected, which is a good thing when everything goes smoothly, but there must be a way to work around this.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Six tips Jun 19, 2009

Sophie Gesbert wrote:
I have had customers who changed their source file while I was translating. However, I could not find a way to edit or even delete a segment in WordFast.

1. You can unprotect and reprotect your file using a shortcut (I think it's Alt+Ctrl+F12). When you've unprotected the file, you can make drastic changes.

2. You can remove all formatting from text by selecting it and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Z. This may be useful for you when editing your text.

3. Wordfast will recognise the purple tags even if they are not purple -- so if you accidently change something, you can type the tags and you don't need to make them purple.

4. There is a function on your word processor called "format painter" -- check out the help files.

5. Finally, you can make changes to the source segments while translating -- simply click in the source field and make the change. As always, be careful when you're close to the start or end of the field.

6. You can undo and redo certain actions by pressing Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y. This is useful if you've accidently messed up something so that you can fix it quickly by UNDOING it instead of by trying to fix it by doing something else.

Sophie Gesbert  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ! Jun 19, 2009

Thank you Samuel, your tips will be very useful !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you delete a source segment in WordFast ?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search