Excel translation on Mac not working (XLS contents ignored)
Thread poster: Chris Walker

Chris Walker  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:33
French to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to translate Excel files for the first time. I'm using a Mac with Leopard (10.5.7) and Wf 5.56t which has been working fine with Word.

I read that translating an Excel file should be as easy as opening it and using the regular alt-down routine in Word.

However, when I do this, Word picks up whatever text was last copied to the clipboard (Cmd-C or Cmd-X) and not the contents of the Excel file (even though I selected the first cell with contents in Excel beforehand).

Anything I need to check, or is this a known bug on the Mac?

Using Office 2004 FWIW.

Thanks!
Chris

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Alternate method Jun 26, 2009

No idea about why this isn't working for you on a Mac, but you will find several alternate methods here http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/en:Wordfast_how_to

The #3 is my preferred method.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great resource. Any ideas for a fix though? Jun 26, 2009

Lori Cirefice wrote:

No idea about why this isn't working for you on a Mac, but you will find several alternate methods here http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/en:Wordfast_how_to

The #3 is my preferred method.

Awesome. Alternatives are always good to have. Plus, I just learned that Proz.com had a wikiicon_wink.gif

Thanks for this, Lori!

But if anyone has ideas on how to get the "normal" workflow to work, I'd appreciate it. I'll try out the alternatives, but they require extra copy-n-pasting which 99% of the time means tedious hand-fixing of the layout. (Speaking from years of experience with MS Office!!). I can also start up Windows on my Mac and work there... But, y'know, I'd just like for it to work!

Cheers.

[Edited at 2009-06-26 20:49 GMT]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
yahoo group Jun 26, 2009

Try posting/searching the yahoo group if you haven't already, there may be a mac user there with an answer. Have you tried closing everything else except the excel file/blank word file to see if that helps?

It's really a shame about the wiki project not moving forward, I gather there are some technical problems so there is no direct link to it from proz.com (yet).

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Details on the problem Jun 27, 2009

Thanks Lori,

I did start by searching the Y! group and posting the same question there. However, as far as I can see, it hasn't been moderated/published yeticon_frown.gif So I knew this forum might be a quicker bet!

Just tried closing "everything but" as you suggested, but that doesn't help.

More details on what happens though: the translation process seems to work fine (I see each non-empty cell in Excel getting selected in turn) but every time the segment to translate in Word is filled with the clipboard contents, instead of picking up the active cell contents. When I hit alt-down, whatever I type as a translation in Word appears in Excel.

So the only problem is not getting the cell contents into Word for use as a source segment. In case that helps identify the problem...

The wiki project definitely deserves more publicity and attention... Wikis need involvement to thrive!!

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel translation on Mac not working (XLS contents ignored)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search