Process a Trados Tageditor file with Wordfast
Thread poster: Manuela Lupoli

Manuela Lupoli  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:04
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 26, 2009

Hi everybody!

I have a question concerning the use of a Trados TagEditor File with Wordfast..I have a Trados file on which I cannot operate (I am not so accustomed in using it)...may I translate it by means of Wordfast and the re-save it into Trados .ttx file?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards

Manuela

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
PlusToyz.doc Jun 26, 2009

Search for it on the Wf user site (yahoo.groups).
Regards
Heinrich

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:04
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
How to translate TagEditor files in Wordfast Jun 26, 2009

It is my opinion that Wordfast is better to use than Trados, if there is a choice - and there almost always is.

Many agencies demand that Trados is used in situations where it wouldn't make a difference if Wordfast was used. And you might even say that all jobs that require Trados TagEditor can be translated with Wordfast – all you need is to have at least the demo version of Trados.

This is what you do:
1. Create an empty Trados memory if you do not already have one.
2. Use this empty memory and run an analysis on the files (.rtf, .doc, .xls, .ttx, etc.).
3. In the analysis results window, click on Export Unknown Segments and save the file with the file type "Word (*.rtf)".
4. Open a new empty Word document and insert the rtf file (menu Insert -> File) and save as a .doc file. (This step is because the *.rtf file created by Trados is unstable and can easily make Word crash, and also because you can use the shortcut Shift+F5 in .doc files to quickly get back to where you left off if you reopen the file after having closed it.)
5. Now translate the .doc file with Wordfast as usual, but use the paragraph segmentation rule to ensure that you get the segments as they are seen by Trados (each separate segment is a paragraph in the exported file).
6. You then clean up the finished translation with Trados to create the Trados memory for your job.

If your version of Trados only is the demo version, then you have to estimate how much of the file that fits in a Trados Demo memory and split the file in equal parts that can be cleaned and run, one by one, on the files. (Open one segment at a time in Trados until you get the message that the memory is too large for demo mode, then you can see, roughly, how many segments you can have per memory.)

Then run Translate in Trados Translator's Workbench with each memory and proofread to verify that all text now is translated correctly.

Ulf

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:04
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
To use TTXpress maybe the easiest solution Jun 27, 2009

This handy (and free) template for Word converts the .ttx file to .rtf, allowing you to process it in your favorite CAT tool; once the .rtf file is translated, you can convert it back to ttx with the same TTXpress template.

TTXpress seems to be no longer available for download in the Internet; I keep a copy which I will gladly supply to whoever needs it if you contact me privately.

Saludos

Manuela Lupoli  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Jun 27, 2009

Hi everybody!!

thanks a lot for your advises! they are all so precious!! I will try and solve that problem...the text to be translated is so easy but so difficult for me because of that matter!!

I agree with you Ulf, I find Wordfast easier than Trados and till now I could handle jobs requiring Trados because of their similar functions ... but this time I am in troubles

I will try and let you know if I am still alive after that

Thank you so much once again

Bye

Manuela

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:04
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Alternative download link for TTXPress: Sep 2, 2009

http://www.4shared.com/file/68892452/7b40d0b7/TTXpressInstaller2.html

Mick De Meyer  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Feb 24, 2010

Thanks Ulf, Jorge and Michael.
I only have WordFast, so I have downloaded the TTXpressInstaller and am keeping it nearby for future use!

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:04
TTX Support Coming Soon Feb 24, 2010

Hi All,

In regards to this thread, I just wanted to let everyone know that we will be releasing new versions of both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro in the upcoming weeks that will be able to handle TTX files directly. I will notify you when the new releases are available for download.

Thanks for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Kristyna Marrero
Director, Sales & Marketing

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Process a Trados Tageditor file with Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search