Any discounts when purchasing 4 years on?
Thread poster: Anne Koth

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:43
Member (Feb 2018)
German to English
Jun 29, 2009

I've just got a new computer and need to get a new Wordfast licence, as I bought the last one 4 years ago. I can't remember my password to login and it apparently takes a few days when you e-mail them, so can anyone tell me from experience if I could get any sort of repeat purchase discount, or if I have to pay the 300 euros anyway, so can just go ahead and re-register with my new e-mail address?

Also, the Wordfast website says:
License at discount price (150.00 Euros each) - Note: this price is limited to individual persons, like translators buying a single license and located in some countries.
What they actually mean is that the discount price is for translators in certain countries buying a single licence, right? Not a) translators buying a single licence and b) those in certain countries?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
As far as I can remember Jun 29, 2009

Anne Koth wrote:
...so can anyone tell me from experience if I could get any sort of repeat purchase discount, or if I have to pay the 300 euros anyway, so can just go ahead and re-register with my new e-mail address?

As far as I can remember, I had to pay the full price after 3 years. So there is no special upgrade fee.

Your username is the e-mail address you used when you first bought Wordfast, and the password is the first serial number you registered with. If you still have that first e-mail from Wordfast when you bought it, you should have access to both username and password.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:43
French to English
+ ...
I think it should be chepaer to relicense Jun 29, 2009

Are you a member of the Wordfast support group? A recent discussion on 22nd June talked about relicensing if you've changed your hardware and suggested that it was cheaper, but I couldn't find out how much exactly without going down the Relicense option.

See: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/message/70171

"> > Then, (similar to Jane Gray's problem on the 19th) after using a version of
5.60 (can't remember which one), my Wordfast suddenly tells me that I am not
licensed. I haven't changed any hardware, nor installed any software in the last
week.
>
>
> In that case you should not have to relicense.
> Have you tried reorganizing?
> Have you tried deleting of wordfast. cfg, ini, etc. (after
> making safety copies)?

I think Graham's problem is that he has tried to use a new version after his
license has expired. The license allows for free upgrades during the licensing
period, then, if I understand correctly, free use of the version you end up with
at the end of the license period until your hard disc goes kaput.

But relicensing, as in purchasing a three year extension to your lapsed license,
is quite reasonable. ¥ 13,246 today. I am not sure of the conditions for
purchasing an extension."

Hope this helps,

Claire

Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Relicense Jun 29, 2009

Hello Anne,

I also bought a new computer two weeks ago and found out that my license had expired recently. All I had to do was to relicense it for another THREE years and the cost was 100 euros.

As Samuel says, yo have to log in with your username and password.

Idoia

Germany
Member (Feb 2018)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the help Jun 29, 2009

In that case I'll be patient!

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, you get the license at a reduced price Jun 29, 2009

I have purchased a new one after more than 4 years for half of the actual original price.

Go to Support -> Hotline and send them your data, if you don't remember your login. All you need is the original invoice.

The term "relicense" is appropiate, I think, only within 3 years, and in this case, it is free.

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:43
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Why buy Wordfast again? Jun 29, 2009

Did you like it that much? There are other alternatives, which are far better and cost nothing. Give Across and MemoQ a spin (yes, MemoQ will cost you nothing if you don't need more than one TM in a project and don't work with others simultaneously on the same project).

[Edited at 2009-06-29 14:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-29 14:17 GMT]

Germany
Member (Feb 2018)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Why I bought Wordfast again Jun 30, 2009

Just to report back that I sent off my very vague details of when and how I'd bought Wordfast originally (I found my original invoice much later!), and almost immediately got back the information I needed to relicense for 3 years, for €107 including VAT.

I like the fact that Wordfast is small and unobtrusive. And time is money, so the time spent learning a new system is like paying a higher price for it! I'm still intrigued by the idea that there are cheaper, better systems, though - I'd got the impression that Across and MemoQ were a lot more expensive and not necessarily any better. Is that not the case? Do they work out cheaper for some reason - no need to relicense, maybe?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any discounts when purchasing 4 years on?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search