Wordfast not working - error 5981
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
German to English
Jun 29, 2009

I suddenly find that Wordfast is not working at all - any attempt to use it delivers the message "Run-time error 5981 - could not open macro storage".

I'm out of my depth on this - I can't find anything helpful on the Wordfast website and haven't a clue what I should do. Can anyone help?

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:29
Spanish to English
I'm not the expert but... Jun 30, 2009

I found this

http://www.pctools.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-14404.html

So it looks like you might solve the problem by closing all your word documents and then deleting the normal.dot file.

This is automatically recreated the next time you open a word document.

Just bear in mind that if, like me, you have other macros and autocorrect specially set up to suit you, you will have to redo them all afterwards and reinstalli wordfast, but it looks like this is worth doing. I don't remember, but you might need to have you make sure you have the license number at hand.

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 30, 2009

Thank you, Lesley, for pointing me to that article.

After much tinkering and head-scratching I've now concluded that the problem relates only to the specific document I was working on yesterday since other documents, both old ones and new ones, are functioning perfectly happily in WF. I still can't fathom out why this one document is causing such trouble but I'm mighty glad that the problem isn't as widespread as I thought yesterday (and this is perhaps a hint to others that it is worth checking whether the problem is general or document-specific).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast not working - error 5981

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search