Paragraph marks/Paragraphs disappear in a Word file when re-opening it
Thread poster: xxxMerita Goeld
xxxMerita Goeld
Local time: 21:32
English to German
+ ...
Jul 9, 2009

Dear Wordfast users

I am working with Word 2003 and Wordfast (version 5.53). Before I could start this specific translation, I had to copy the text from a PDF file, using copy/paste. Then I had to add all the paragraphs because they disappeared on the way from the PDF to Word. This sometimes happens ... After that I started translating the article (app. 20 pages in Word). Everything was as usual, after some hours work, I saved the document and went to bed. The next morning I opened it and wanted to start work again. But ... all the paragraphs had disappeard. I did them all again. After some work I saved the document again and the next day I opened it and worked and saved it and opened it - and so on (do not think I am lazy, needing so many days for one document;-)) Today I wanted to continue translating. But suddenly the paragraphs have disappeared again.

Does anyone know this strange phenomen? Any help is much appreciated.

I have been working with Wordfast for some years now without problems.

Thanks a lot and kind regards
Merita

Direct link Reply with quote

Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:32
French to English
+ ...
me too Jul 9, 2009

I really don't know why this happens, but I have had it sometimes with the latest version of Wordfast. It happens either with "Expand segment" or "End translation" (although not always) and presumably you end the translation when you close the document. I really don't know why, so now try to always hit save before doing either of these things. Otherwise I just go back to my previous version and translate again using the TM, which isn't too much of a problem if there isn't a lot of formatting. I also get something similar when trying to go back to the previous segment (again, only sometimes!).
I haven't found out why, or a solution, so it would be interesting to see if anyone else has any ideas.
Sorry, not very helpful, but maybe you can just make sure you save more versions, to save redoing the formatting.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paragraph marks/Paragraphs disappear in a Word file when re-opening it

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search