Wordfast toolbar in Word 2007
Thread poster: greegorush
Aug 2, 2009

Hello all!

I downloaded and installed a Demo version of Wordfast Classic. When I open Wordfast in Word 2007 there are two identical toolbars there. One of them is integrated, another is a movable. Is there any way to switch off the movable toolbar?

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2009-08-02 09:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-02 09:38 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luis Medina  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably downloaded twice Aug 2, 2009

You probably downloaded the software twice. Look for the place where the Wordfast folders are saved in you computer. If you see two identical Wordfast folders, you can delete one of them. That should do it.

[Edited at 2009-08-02 14:43 GMT]

greegorush
TOPIC STARTER
No...I have checked out Aug 2, 2009

One of the toolbar of Wordfast is intagrated into the ribbon of Word 2007. Another one (with the same icons) is movable. When I click on it there is a message shown up:
This toolbar can be automatically docked to Ms-Word's top right corner? or floated outside Ms-Word.
Yes = Dock toolbar to Ms-Word.
No = Float toolbar.

I just wanted to take the toolbar away but couldn't find a way.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No, he doesn't mean that Aug 2, 2009

We have discussed the matter in another thread about this being the most annoying characteristic ('feature') of the newest developments of Wordfast Classic.

But, as usually is the case, no one has done anything about it... They've been busy working on 'Wordfast Anywhere' instead... And still no newer version for Wordfast 'Pro', as if it is complete and useable enough...

Jamie Lucero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:13
French to English
Explanation from developer (Yves) Aug 5, 2009

• Why a new toolbar solution in Word 2007?
    Microsoft, with Office 2007, has done away once and for all with standard Office toolbars, the thin ones we're used to. Toolbars cannot be docked/undocked from a ribbon tab by us. Us meaning users, or a VBA program. MS parks toolbars automatically in the [Add-Ins] tab, the way it wants. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast_beta | Message #6289)
    Glossary toolbars are not usable: Word 2007 shrinks them down to a ridiculous size and I have no control over that...The [Add-Ins] tab gets hidden in normal Word use. Beginners don't find the toolbar. Or they can't remember the shortcuts and get lost. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast_beta | Message #6289)

• The original solution: WF toolbar in Word's Quick Access Toolbar (QAT)
    The QAT Wordfast toolbar and its funny icons is gone for good. It was designed because I had no other solution at the time. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast_beta | Message #6289)
    [Drawbacks]: 1. ...Icons cannot be WF' original, so if you upgrade, you're a little lost and I would need to produce a new manual. Still, the QAT bar looked promising. But: 2. Glossary toolbars, for technical reasons, cannot be added. That alone was a huge drawback. Some people just can't work without them, which is understandable. 3. I got flamed because some people customize their QAT with their own icons, and WF jumps in and it gets overcrowded. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast | Message #70369)

• The new solution: special WF toolbar docked on Word 2007's title bar
    The "new" 2007 toolbar is actually not a toolbar, it's a clever construction that looks like one, using standard VBA components. I'm making efforts so that its behaviour gets close to a "good old" toolbar. For the moment, it can only be docked top right of Word (bottom center could be an additional location). I've just made three slight improvements in 560pa : tooltips - they appear in Word's status bar; docking the toolbar to the far right, more out of the way of the window title; shrinking the toolbar 100% when pressing the "End translation session" icon after a session. Use Ctrl+Alt+W to bring it back. Note that the "old" toolbar is back in the [Add-Ins] tab, so you should be able to drive it with voice recognition calling shortcuts. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast_beta | Message #6289)
    "Hiding the document file name": - Problem was same with the older QAT toolbar, if it was in the "up", default position. Longish file names will be truncated with any version of Word, with or without Wordfast. The new toolbar has a huge advantage over Word 2007's QAT bar: it can be freely floated. With a non-maximized Word window, the Wordfast toolbar delicately docks itself outside the Word window. And I left-justified the document name (very difficult to do, BTW) to accomodate long file names if the toolbar must dock inside Word when the Word window is maximized. Gee, I went to great lengths to improve usability. But there's still progress to be made. With a minimized ribbon, Word 2007 is slowly becoming the perfect WF machine: uncluttered interface, support for doc/docx, good backward compatibility, instant preview of fonts and styles... just make sure you've got those 6 cylinders 2 Ghz/2Gbytes/2CPUs humming under the hood. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast | Message #70369)
    If you move the "new" toolbar and answer "No" to the "Remember position" prompt, then the toolbar will dock at the top of the Word window... If you answer "Yes", then it'll stay at the location you dropped it, regardless where Ms-Word is located. That's already a greater versatility than the previous toolbar and its funny icons, which could only be docked next to the Office button. [The new] toolbar supports glossary drop-down lists (Ctrl+Alt+G), while the older toolbar doesn't... Other versions of Word will use the regular toolbar as always. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast_beta | Message #6282)

• The problem with two toolbars

As stated above, having a toolbar on the title bar and one in the Add-Ins tab is intended. However, if you used a WF version with the QAT toolbar and then upgraded to a version with the "new" toolbar, then try the solution quoted below.
    Most likely, the old QAT is still present. Did you use automatic installation? Normally, it removes the older QAT Wordfast toolbar (a file named word.qat, can safely be deleted manually, that'll restore the QAT to its original state). That file resides somewhere in C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OFFICE. (Yahoo Groups | wordfast | Message #70369)

greegorush
TOPIC STARTER
The total explanation Aug 6, 2009

Thanks a lot!

[Edited at 2009-08-06 07:01 GMT]

Nicole Pennebaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:13
French to English
Thanks Jaime! Sep 16, 2009

Just had this problem today and your answer fixed it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast toolbar in Word 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search