JabTrad  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
Member (2003)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2009

Hello everyone,

I've just started using WF classic 5.60 after recently taking the Beginners' course.
Since the training forum is now closed I've a couple of basic questions for more experienced colleagues.

1) How to directly insert into the Target segment terms / phrases found using the Concordance search.
I tried copy & paste, but it's in a different font (and colour) to the target segment text.

2) What is the procedure for inserting a "proper name", such as a company name or trademark, directly from the source into the target segment? [I think it's called a "placeable"].
Just a term, not the whole segment.

3) When revising my translation in WF classic 5.60, some target segments were inside a red box. What does this mean?

4) When revising segments that you have already translated, can you scroll through the segments that don't need to be changed without using Alt+up or Alt+down?

Thanks in advance,
James.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Answers Aug 13, 2009

Hi James,

Welcome to Wordfast!

1) If terms come up in the concordance search, simply highlight the term you want to use and press Alt F12 - the term should then appear in your target segment where you last left the cursor.

2) To insert placeables, press Control + Alt + left or right arrow to go forwards or back in the segment, then Control + Alt + down arrow to insert the placeable.

3) Not sure what you mean here: are you checking with the target and source text visible? You can press Contol + comma to toggle between source + target + codes and just target on screen. I usually print off just the target text (which is all you usually see after pressing Alt Ed anyway) and check it against the original as usual. If you've physically copied and pasted any terms from the source rather than inserting them as placeables, they may have a red box if they've been highlighted as placeables or glossary entries already.

4) Again, I tend to revise on paper, but you can just scroll down the text as normal if you don't want to revise any segments. Just make sure you clean up at the end and try not to inadvertently delete any tags! If you do delete a tag by mistake when you're translating and realise straightaway, it's a simple matter to press Alt Delete to restore that particular segment to source.

Hope this helps and isn't too basic. I know there seems an awful lot to take in at the start, but it soon becomes second nature.

Good luck!

Claire

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:42
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Reviewing in Wordfast Aug 13, 2009

jab01 wrote:

3) When revising my translation in WF classic 5.60, some target segments were inside a red box. What does this mean?

4) When revising segments that you have already translated, can you scroll through the segments that don't need to be changed without using Alt+up or Alt+down?

@3 This means that the translation in the target segment is not the same as the translation stored in your TM.

@4 You can close a segment and end the session with Alt+End. Place the cursor in another segment you want to edit and start a new session with Alt+Down.

Regards,
Gerard

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:42
French to English
more on 3 Aug 13, 2009

Gerard de Noord wrote:

@3 This means that the translation in the target segment is not the same as the translation stored in your TM.

When you get a red box as described above, it can be for two reasons: either you changed that segment without opening the segment, or else it is a repetition and you have changed another instance of that repetition somewhere in the document. In the first case, just Alt+down to commit the revised segment to the TM. In the second case, try ALT+right/left arrows and WF will display the other TUs so you can select the right one.

JabTrad  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all! Aug 13, 2009

Thanks so much, between you you've covered all my queries!

All the best,
James

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic 5.60 questions

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search