Wordfast Pro will not open .doc files
Thread poster: Mr Mole
Mr Mole
Local time: 16:27
Aug 21, 2009

Hello.

I'm trying WordFast Pro, and have a problem. It will not open normal .doc files (any version of Word)

What might be the problem?

I'm running it on Windows Vista.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:27
Are you working with Word 2007? Aug 21, 2009

If you are trying to open a Word 2007 file, it is currently not supported, but will be resolved in our upcoming release (within the next few days.) Currently, for Word 2007 files, you must save them down using an earlier version of MS Word and then open them in Wordfast Pro.

If this is not the problem, and you are still unable to open a Word doc, please let me know what error message you are getting.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

xxxEric Hahn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:27
French to German
+ ...
Star Office Aug 22, 2009

You can also open *.doc files saved down with Star Office 8, but not (yet) with Star Office 9.

Mr Mole
Local time: 16:27
TOPIC STARTER
Files downsaved with Word 2007 work, but not with Open Office Aug 23, 2009

Hey, Kristyna and Eric.

Sorry for not specifying that the .doc files I was trying to open were downsaved as Word 2003 files with OpenOffice.org.

I thought that Wordfast Pro would be truly platform independent, and took for granted that it should open docs made with any program.

So, when I use Word 2007 to save the original file (originally in rtf format) in word 2003 format, it does open on WF Pro.

But is there a way to open OpenOffice files with WordFast?

Thanks!

Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:27
Japanese to English
Having a similar problem Sep 13, 2009

When you try to open the .doc file, do you get an error message that says something to the effect of "A problem occurred when attempting to send a command to the program" (I am not sure of the exact English wording as I'm translating from the japanese error message I get)?

I am using Wordfast Classic (downloaded 2 days ago) and since I installed it, I am able to open .doc files but completely unable to open .docx files (native Word 2007 files) at all. Being as this is extremely problematic, what would you recommend I do? Do I just have to uninstall the program or is there a workaround/fix for this issue now?

Thank you in advance for any help.

[Edited at 2009-09-13 01:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro will not open .doc files

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search