Thread poster: Alex Lago

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:30
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 25, 2009

I am posting this for any people that use various keyboard layouts but only know how to change them using the Windows XP language bar (in the taskbar)

I use Windows XP and I started using Wordfast Pro 2.2.1 today and noticed that when I am in the program the Windows XP taskbar won't pop up.

I have an English US keyboard and I translate into two languages (English & Spanish) but I use the same physical keyboard for both, I just change the layout of the keyboard when I need acces to Spanish symbols, like ñ and accents.

Anyway I usually do this using a keyboard shortcut, but I realized there are a lot of people (like a couple of friends of mine that asked me the same thing today) that only know how to do it by clicking on the language bar in the XP taskbar, so not being able to access the taskbar is a problem as they can´t change keyboard layouts.

No worries, the solution is simple, acces the Control Panel and click on Regional and Language Options, click on the Languages tab and then click on Details, on the Settings tab click on Key Settings, here on the list of Hot Keys for Input Languages simply click on the keyboard layout you want to assign the shortcut keys to and then click on Change Key Sequence, on the window that opens choose your key combination, repeat for all your keyboard layouts and you are all set, to change layouts simply use the key combination and forget about your mouse and the task bar.

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:30
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nice, but… Aug 26, 2009

What does it have to do with Wordfast actually?

Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
latest version does not display XP taskbar Aug 26, 2009

esperantisto wrote:

What does it have to do with Wordfast actually?

Well as I mention in my message for some reason this latest version of Wordfast does not let you access the taskbar, and as a couple of translator friends of mine had mentioned this to me because they were stuck with not being able to change their keyboard layouts, I thought this might happen to other people that use the program, so I thought I would include a work around for this problem until the Wordfast programmers solve it.

Mario de Echevarría  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My keyboard layout is Spanish, but Worfast Pro remains in English Oct 20, 2009

I have made sure my keyboard settings are in Spanish (international), which is the layout I am accustomed to. When I use Wordfast Pro (2.2.3) however, the layout is English, and so finding colons, accents and the like becomes a nightmare. I have searched for a way to change the keyboard layout, and have tried what you suggest in the Control Panel, to no avail. Any help, please?

Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer Oct 20, 2009

Mario de Echevarría wrote:

I have made sure my keyboard settings are in Spanish (international), which is the layout I am accustomed to. When I use Wordfast Pro (2.2.3) however, the layout is English, and so finding colons, accents and the like becomes a nightmare. I have searched for a way to change the keyboard layout, and have tried what you suggest in the Control Panel, to no avail. Any help, please?

You dont explain much of your problem.

Can you see different keyboards to choose from? You have to add them before you can select them.

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wrong keyboard layout in WordFast Pro Oct 20, 2009

Precisely, Alex, I deleted the English keyboard from my control panel, so that the only option available is the Spanish keyboard layout. Hence my surprise to note that WordFast Pro continues to run on an English keyboard.

Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did you assing key combination to your keyboard? Oct 20, 2009

Mario de Echevarría wrote:

Precisely, Alex, I deleted the English keyboard from my control panel, so that the only option available is the Spanish keyboard layout. Hence my surprise to note that WordFast Pro continues to run on an English keyboard.

OK

The fact that Wordfast uses a different keyboard is a question of their programming, it is independent from your keyboard choice.

If you only have one keyboard in your settings you will still need to assign a key combination to this keyboard, have you done so?

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Problem solved Oct 21, 2009

Alex, y checked the control panel again and somehow the English keyboard option was still there. I deleted it and now it is OK, WordFast runs on my usual Spanish keyboard settings.

Many thanks for your help.
Mario

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 2.2.1 changing keyboard layouts in Windows XP

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search