Thread poster: Cinzia Montina

Cinzia Montina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 7, 2009

Hello to everyone,
I'm wondering if you can briefly expliain the TM compatibility of Wordfast Pro with Wordfact Classic and Trados 7 (both import and export). Thank you very much.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPaul Daubreu
French to German
+ ...
To make it short... Sep 7, 2009

Hello Cinzia,
the compatible element between those three CAT tools is the .TMX (Translation Memory eXchange) file, that they all can generate, read and use.

Cinzia Montina  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 9, 2009

Thank you, Paul, for your tip.
Cinzia

absciarretta  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:02
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
No TTX? Sep 16, 2009

So Wordfast Pro cannot read or export TTX-files?

If it could I would change in a heartbeat...

xxxPaul Daubreu
French to German
+ ...
No TTX, indeed... Sep 17, 2009

absciarretta wrote:

So Wordfast Pro cannot read or export TTX-files?

If it could I would change in a heartbeat...

Files WF Pro can open/read:
- DOC, INX, PPT, TXML, XLS

(that's at least what the selection window says when you are about to search for a file in order to open it).

Sorry...

Jamie Lucero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:02
French to English
More file types in latest version Sep 18, 2009

Paul Daubreuil wrote:

Files WF Pro can open/read:
- DOC, INX, PPT, TXML, XLS

(that's at least what the selection window says when you are about to search for a file in order to open it).

In addition to file types listed above, File > Open in Pro 2.2.2 also shows ASP, DOCX, HTML, JSP, and XLSX if you click the drop-down after the File name drop-down. Also, if you define a custom text format under Edit > Preferences > click Formats under Filters > New button > select Text based Filter, the file type you define will also appear in the list of formats in the drop-down. For example, if you add an XML filter, then XML will appear in the drop-down.

Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thanks, guys Sep 18, 2009

Still, the way the translation market is today, if it can't at least export ttx-files the software is not going to help me. This is why I had to give up DVX too.

Sad, but true.

I wish some smartypants could come up with really great conversion software or some program that reads and exports all the Trados files. Even if it was half the price of Trados it would be so worth it.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Be more precise, please... Sep 18, 2009

absciarretta wrote:

I wish some smartypants could come up with really great conversion software or some program that reads and exports all the Trados files. Even if it was half the price of Trados it would be so worth it.

What do you call "Trados files"? To my knowledge, there are surprisingly few pure, proprietary Trados formats. And Heartsome or Swordfish (among others, I hope) will make your .TTX files "rock"... Admittedly only after a conversion to standard .XLIFF (TTX>XLIFF>target text in TTX).

[Edited at 2009-09-18 16:32 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Ok, I will be more precise Sep 19, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

absciarretta wrote:

What do you call "Trados files"? To my knowledge, there are surprisingly few pure, proprietary Trados formats. And Heartsome or Swordfish (among others, I hope) will make your .TTX files "rock"... Admittedly only after a conversion to standard .XLIFF (TTX>XLIFF>target text in TTX).

[Edited at 2009-09-18 16:32 GMT]

I mean TTX and TMW files. Trados is (usually) great, but it is a cumbersome program and it lacks finesse as well as stability when translating difficult files (for instance converted pdf-files). It is also INSANELY expensive. That's why I am trying to see if there is an alternative to it that my clients will accept. I am also hating the fact that I am stuck with this program without having a choice.

Does converting ttx files really work with all kinds of files? Including converted pdf's? What about Trados TM's? Is the conversion really cumbersome? What about analysis like you can do in Workbench, is that possible in Wordfast?

I have never heard of Swordfish before, info is appreciated.

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
English to Spanish
Swordfish info Sep 24, 2009

absciarretta wrote:
I have never heard of Swordfish before, info is appreciated.

You can find info here: http://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html

BTW, Swordfish fully supports TXML files from Wordfast PRO.

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2009-09-24 11:59 GMT]

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:02
TTX support with WF PRo Oct 1, 2009

Hi,

I hope you will all be pleased to know that our next release of Wordfast Pro (November) will include support for TTX files.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2005)
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
ttx in 2.2.4? Nov 22, 2009

Dear Krystyna,
not the one released just the other day (2.2.4)? But I'm eagerly looking forward to it!

This week, I even got a tmw file from a client, would this be supported to?

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Hi,

I hope you will all be pleased to know that our next release of Wordfast Pro (November) will include support for TTX files.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
nope? Nov 23, 2009

I guess we've got to wait for the TTX thing.

Release notes from www.wordfast.com:

20 November 2009

•TM target lookup
•RTF file support
•Fixed INX issue where some text was not pulled into TXML and some graphic elements were misplaced when converting back
•Fixed issue that was causing some files to fail when converting back to original format
•HTML preview
•Fixed Issue with Outline not refreshing
•Faster updating of TM by only scanning confirmed segments and not entire file
•Temp File management in Preferences to control size of temp file folder
•Fixed issue with trailing spaces being imported into Terminology
•Updated Hunspell Dictionaries
•Fixed Spellchecker issues:

* Right click misspelled word suggestion
* Edit segment from spellchecker
* Apply changes before end of segment

•Fixed Find/Replace issue where search did not apply to active file
•More accurate Office file type filters
•100 other smaller fixes

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:02
TTX Support Mar 11, 2010

absciarretta wrote:

Wordfast Pro 2.3 is officially released and includes support for TTX files, as well as several new features including MIF and PDF support, Wordfast Aligner and Machine Translation integration.

The price of a license is 330 Euros.

You can download a free demo version from our website here - http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Sincerely,

Kristyna Marrero

Gordon Sutcliffe
Spanish to English
+ ...
WF Pro 2.3: imports TTX but exports TXML? Mar 23, 2010

As far as I can tell, a TTX loaded into Wordfast Pro 2.4 still wants to be saved as a .txml file, which can't be loaded back into my agencies' TagEditor. Can it not be saved as a ttx file?

330 euros now is it? At that rate of inflation, give it two or three years and it will be the same price as a Trados group buy and I'll have to look for a cheaper alternative again.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro compatibility

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search