Is it possible to open a txt. TM with Trados?
Thread poster: Spanish-English Translator
Spanish-English Translator
Local time: 19:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 17, 2009

Is it possible to open a TM created with Wordfast (a txt.file) with Trados?
At present, before sending TMs to my customers, I export it into a TMX file.
Is it necesary? I use Wordfast 5.601. Thanks and best regards, AT

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:53
English to Spanish
Import txt Sep 17, 2009

Import the txt file into a new or existing TRADOS TM.

Export can be in different formats (txt, tmx) depending on the agency's/client's instructions.
-------------

Ooops! I missed the "created with Wordfast" part. Sorry, no.
As for types of files with which TRADOS can work, there is a list in the manual.

[Edited at 2009-09-18 12:52 GMT]

Local time: 19:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Luisa, thank you for your reply Sep 17, 2009

I ask because I have never used Trados. Which files can be opened with Trados?

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:53
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe it not that easy, Luisa Sep 18, 2009

TRADOS WB won't import correctly WordFast Classic TMs if they are not preprocessed, let aside the problem with the different language codes.

A possible solution is to use Olifant (http://sourceforge.net/projects/okapi/files/Olifant(Stable)/) for converting WF .txt to TRADOS .txt. However, you will have to use the version 3.0.2 build 15 or earlier, because current
... See more
TRADOS WB won't import correctly WordFast Classic TMs if they are not preprocessed, let aside the problem with the different language codes.

A possible solution is to use Olifant (http://sourceforge.net/projects/okapi/files/Olifant(Stable)/) for converting WF .txt to TRADOS .txt. However, you will have to use the version 3.0.2 build 15 or earlier, because current releases do not longer support the TRADOS .txt format.

I would also recommend Olifant for doing the alternative WF .txt to tmx conversion, because it allows to detect possible problems in the WF TM.

Saludos
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
As far as I know... Sep 18, 2009

Argentine Translator wrote:
Is it possible to open a TM created with Wordfast (a txt.file) with Trados?

No. Either send the clients a TMX file (created with Wordfast or some other conversion utility) or send the clients an uncleaned file (if that format is compatible with the type of work you do).

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:53
English to Spanish
Missed that WF part Sep 18, 2009

Jorge Payan wrote:

A possible solution is to use Olifant (http://sourceforge.net/projects/okapi/files/Olifant(Stable)/) for converting WF .txt to TRADOS .txt. However, you will have to use the version 3.0.2 build 15 or earlier, because current releases do not longer support the TRADOS .txt format.

I would also recommend Olifant for doing the alternative WF .txt to tmx conversion, because it allows to detect possible problems in the WF TM.

Saludos

I edited my reply. I focused on the post title and missed the "created with WF" part, thus my positive reply.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to open a txt. TM with Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »