Saving a translated file back to PPT/Open Office
Thread poster: Jeff Skinner

Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2009

Just bought a license for Wordfast Pro to cover a large job for a new client (no, I don't jump in the deep end much, why do you ask?) and things have gone swimmingly so far... until now.

I can save the WordFast file no problem, but trying to get it back into PowerPoint is giving me an unspecified error - it simply says "Error while saving file" and leaves me with an unusable PPT file.

I use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, and I've gone in and changed the file association under System Options and made OpenOffice Presentation the associated editor, but to no avail.

Is there anything else I'm missing, or is it a very unfortunate case of two pieces of software not liking each other at all?

[Edited at 2009-09-27 20:41 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
what I do.. Sep 28, 2009

I open the PPT, click somewhere on the first slide,
I open Word, start WordFast and presto!
I get to see the phrase from the PPT in Word,
and each time a section is done, WordFast takes care of
copying the translations back to the PPT..

When I'm finished I save the PPT under a new name...

===
Ed

Jeff Skinner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which version are you using? Sep 28, 2009

Out of curiosity, are you on WordFast Classic? I haven't had to use Word for this job at all.

Philip Watterson  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Sorry Jeff, this isn't going to help, but... Sep 28, 2009

I've had exactly the same problem with Wordfast Pro. You're not the only one. For me, it seems to vary from oen PPT file to another.

What I do to check I won't have a problem is to open the project right at the start to test it. I press ALT+INS to fill all the 'target' segments with the source text and then try to 'Save Translated File'. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I get "Error saving file". I decide not to waste my time with Wordfast Pro, and stick to Wordfast Classic, with all the formating problems it gives me (doesn't seem to handle bullet points at all).

It's a rubbish workaround, because it doesn't solve the problem, but that's what I do.
It would be great to hear from someone from within Wordfast about why this error occurs and if there is a solution.

Good luck!
Phil W

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
5.53q "probably classic" Sep 28, 2009

5.53q --"probably classic", I've had it for some time and I like the way it works...

Ed

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Classic and Pro Sep 28, 2009

Edward Vreeburg wrote:

5.53q --"probably classic", I've had it for some time and I like the way it works...

Ed

Hi Edward,
the latest Classic version is 5.61 and something, so yes you use WF Classic. WF Pro was initially named 6.0 and the interface is totally different (source on the left, target on the right, not more based on a MS Word macro, etc).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving a translated file back to PPT/Open Office

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search