Thread poster: Masahiro Imafuji

Masahiro Imafuji  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:56
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 1, 2009

I need, (rather want to), share my TM and Glossary used in Wordfast pro with my editors.

What do I need to share with them?

Wordfast Pro creates TXML when traslated. I know I have to share this.
I cannot find a glossary file, which made me assume that wordfast pro doesn't create a glossary file.

But it creates some xps files depending on how many glossaries we use for translation, I presume.

My guess is to share a translated work with an editor, he/she needs an txml file and xps files.

Am I correct?

Also I believe that I have to zip those files together.

I could not find any articles specifically for sharing TM and glossaries for Wordfast Pro with an editor anywhere.

Have anyone done such thing before?

Please advice.

Thanks,

Hiro

Direct link Reply with quote

TSDM
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:56
Russian to English
Very unintuitive — export TMs and glossaries is in the file/preferences menu Oct 1, 2009

Hi Hiro,
I spent some time looking for this just last week. I'm sure you've found it already yourself, but I'll answer this so that the information will be on proz for others.

If you open the preferences window (or press ctrl+shift+o for quick access) you can select the TM and export to a TMX file, and do the same for your terminology (which will be a simple ab-deliminated txt file that you editors can open in any spreadsheet program). Your terminology file, of course, will only have entries if you've been adding them as you work (something that seems to me so inconvenient in WF Pro that I doubt many users do this).

As far as I understand the TXML file is only the segmented document you are working on. I'm not sure what XPS is — maybe someone else can clarify?

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Either csv or tbx file Oct 1, 2009

If I understand your question...

You can export your glossary ("Terminology" on the menu bar) to either a csv or tbx file, which can then be imported by another user.

R.
==

United States
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your reply Oct 1, 2009

Rick,

Thank you. So exporting is the only way.

Thank you again for your help.

United States
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Oct 1, 2009

chacher wrote:

Hi Hiro,
I spent some time looking for this just last week. I'm sure you've found it already yourself, but I'll answer this so that the information will be on proz for others.

If you open the preferences window (or press ctrl+shift+o for quick access) you can select the TM and export to a TMX file, and do the same for your terminology (which will be a simple ab-deliminated txt file that you editors can open in any spreadsheet program). Your terminology file, of course, will only have entries if you've been adding them as you work (something that seems to me so inconvenient in WF Pro that I doubt many users do this).

As far as I understand the TXML file is only the segmented document you are working on. I'm not sure what XPS is — maybe someone else can clarify?

Thank you for the detail.

Somehow it seems inconvenient to me if we cannot share files among a team and update if necessary. I thought Wordfast pro could do that, for some reason.

So the only way we can share TM and glossary files and reflect changes is to use LAN?

I wonder how people work as a team...

xxxEric Hahn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:56
French to German
+ ...
Remote TM Oct 1, 2009

To share a TM with a team of Wordfast users in real-time, there is the possibility to create a remote TM.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
VLTM Oct 3, 2009

Hi Hiro

As Eric mentions, you can share your TMs through the VLTM (Very Large Translation Memory) our server-based TM environment accessible over the internet. Here, you can set up a private workgroup and then provide your colleagues with a workgroup ID. As long as they all have a Wordfast license, they will be able to access the VLTM. All of your TM assets in your private workgroup are kept confidential and not shared with anyone outside of the workgroup.

To set up a workgroup on the VLTM, you need to use Wordfast Classic (which you get for free if you have a Wordfast Pro license.) The instructions for setting it up can be found here - http://www.wordfast.com/products_vltm2.html

Once you have done this, you will be provided with a url that looks something like this -vltm://part1:part2@11.222.333.44:555

You and your colleagues can access this with Wordfast Pro, by going to edit > preferences > remote and clicking new.

At the moment, you cannot share glossaries over the VLTM. You'll need to export to share your glossaries with your colleagues.

Also, you may want to try Wordfast Anywhere BETA ( http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=anywhere ) This is our new browser-based TM tool which allows you to share both TMs and Glossaries over the internet.

Hope this helps,

Kristyna

United States
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Oct 4, 2009

Eric, thanks!

Kristyna,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I could not find "how" even after having googled.
I have not taken a close look at the websites you gave me yet so my concern may be some where in those pages but let me ask one last question.

We can share TM and glossaries on Internet too. Correct?

"Server based" could mean a server that is used within a company or Internet sever (so everyone in the world who knows FTP address or HTML address can used).

Wordfast Anywhere BETA sounds really good. I will try that!

Thank you again!

Hiro

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Sharing TMs Oct 6, 2009

Hi Hiro,

Yes, you can share the TMs over the internet. Once you set up a workgroup using Wordfast Classic, you will have a url to distribute to your colleagues, allowing them to access the TMs over the internet.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

United States
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 3, 2009

Sorry Kristyna for not being able to thank you earlier.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Hiro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing TM and Glossary among a team using Wordfast pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search