Wordfast Pro on Linux doesn't open .doc
Thread poster: Gondola
Gondola
Local time: 21:14
English to German
+ ...
Oct 8, 2009

Hi all,

I've installed Wordfast Pro for Linux at the beginning of the year and at first it worked fine. For a couple of weeks however, I've been experiencing problems opening larger documents (more than 4000 words). I actually cannot open them, but there is no error message either. I click on open and I can see the message box 'open file' for like a second, but after that nothing happens, as if I hadn't tried to open a document. I'm not sure where the problem is, it could also have something to do with the formatting of the document. I use Crossover Word 2003 or Open Office to save down the documents and never had any problems with that until this happened. Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks!

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Arturo Durán
Spain
English to Spanish
Take a look at this thread Oct 9, 2009

Gondola wrote:

Hi all,

I've installed Wordfast Pro for Linux at the beginning of the year and at first it worked fine. For a couple of weeks however, I've been experiencing problems opening larger documents (more than 4000 words). I actually cannot open them, but there is no error message either. I click on open and I can see the message box 'open file' for like a second, but after that nothing happens, as if I hadn't tried to open a document. I'm not sure where the problem is, it could also have something to do with the formatting of the document. I use Crossover Word 2003 or Open Office to save down the documents and never had any problems with that until this happened. Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks!

Claudia

It may be helpful:
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/143344-wordfast_pro_will_not_open_doc_files.html

Regards,

Arturo

Gondola
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not helpful - unfortunately :-( Oct 9, 2009

Thanks Arturo. I've already looked at the thread and it doesn't seem to refer to the same problem as I don't use Vista but Linux and I don't have Office 2007 files. It must be something else...

Jamie Lucero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
French to English
Pro 2.2.2 on Ubuntu 9.04 opens large Word docs here Oct 9, 2009

I am running Wordfast Pro 2.2.2 (the latest) on Ubuntu Linux 9.04 32-bit via Virtual PC on my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine. I just opened a 40,000-word .doc without a hitch. Is it possible that your machine does not have enough memory to handle larger files? Are you running the latest version of Pro?

Jamie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro on Linux doesn't open .doc

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search