TM/Glossary - browsing in both language directions
Thread poster: Freigeist
Freigeist
Local time: 17:01
Oct 8, 2009

Hi,

I am currently using the trial version of Wordfast Pro to find a suitable CAT-tool for a multilingual gaming company I started working for a couple of days ago. So far I have nothing to complain about, but I have some questions regarding the TM lookup, the glossary as well as the highlight feature and the automatic number adjustment of Trados.

Since it is quite common in video games to have long list of terms like spell names, item names, location names and an insane combination of them, it is sometimes important to not only search a term in the source language but also in the target language, to check for example if a possible translation is already occupied by a previous one. Till now I haven't found a way to search a term in the target language both in the glossary and in the TM.

This issue always bothered me in the last company I was working for, where we used Trados as main tool. Fortunately we had external resources helping us to bypass this problem. Now I can't rely on that resources any more so it is crucial for me, to have a tool where I can search in both directions. Long story short, is this possible in Wordfast? And if not, is there a CAT-tool out there, that has this feature and is also capable of dealing with excel files, since this is the main format of the files we have to translate.

Another useful feature of Trados was that differences between a new segment and the fuzzy match of the TM were highlighted. As far as I've seen, this feature isn't implemented in Wordfast. Are there plans to implement this or is it already somewhere in there and I just haven't found it yet?

And my last question. It is very common in our industry, that segments are almost exact copies of the previous ones just with a different number somewhere in the segment. For example: "Fast Learning, Level 1", "Fast Learning, Level 2" etc. This goes sometimes till "[...]Level 100". In Trados these numbers were spotted by the software and automatically adjusted so I only had to confirm the adjustment without changing every single entry manually. Is this possible in Wordfast as well? The lack of this feature really slows down the our translation process so I would be really happy to have it implemented.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:01
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Try Wordfast Classic Oct 8, 2009

Did you try Wordfast Classic? It has all the features you ask for in this post.

Regards,
Gerard

Freigeist
Local time: 17:01
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I don't use MS Word. Oct 8, 2009

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Regards,
Gerard

Well, that really sounds great but as I wrote: the vast majority of the files we receive for translation are Excel files so I need a tool than can handle them. I wonder why this features were all cut out from Wordfast Pro if they were existent in Wordfast Classic?

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-08 23:04 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro and Wordfast Classic are two different systems Oct 9, 2009

I mistakenly thought that WF Pro was a major update of Classic, but this does not seem to be the case. They are different tools for different purposes.

I have to admit that I never found out how to get started with Pro, while I was up and running with Classic in a couple of hours. It is free until you accumulate a medium-large TM - and if you use it that much, you must be reasonably satisfied with it.

Anyway, although you have to open an empty Word file to work in, WF works fine with Excel files.

Handling numbers in Wordfast depends a little on your setup, but it can certainly set them in automatically where the text is identical (Chapter 1, Chapter 2 etc. or whatever.)

If you have formatted them in Word as bullet points, then it does not interfere with the formatting, but you will not do that in Excel.

Best of luck.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
WFC and Excel files Oct 9, 2009

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Regards,
Gerard

I agree with Gerard, you should try Wordfast Classic. There are several ways to handle excel files in WFC, I do excel files all time using workflows that you can read about here http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/en:Wordfast

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
Wordfast Pro and Excel Oct 9, 2009

Hi,

Wordfast Pro can handle excel files efficiently and offers an excel column selection Wizard that simplifies the process by prompting you to select the rows and columns that need to be translated.

In regards to your feature requests, Wordfast Pro currently does highlight the differences between the new segment and the fuzzy match from the TM. All matches from the TM appear in the 'TM lookup' window at the bottom of the TXML editor, and the differences will be highlighted in yellow.

In regards to the two other features you requested -

-Searching not only source segments (as you can now) but target segments as well
- Automatic adjustment of numbers

These features are currently being worked on and will be added to future versions of Wordfast Pro.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM/Glossary - browsing in both language directions

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search