https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/149537-save_failed_invalid_placeable_specified.html

Save failed - invalid placeable specified
Thread poster: Johan Bouman (X)
Johan Bouman (X)
Johan Bouman (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:00
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 30, 2009

Hi,

I just finished translating a small document with Wordfast Pro. It will update the TM but refuses to save the document. the error message is:

'save failed
invalid placeable specified'

I'm not really sure what placeables are in Wordfast (those greyed out thingies with { inside the segments?) or how i can solve this problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks,
johan

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:00
French to English
placeable Oct 30, 2009

Placeables are formatting codes or other types of codes (html ...) that need to be "placed" in the target segment. In WFP I believe they are represented as numbers inside the squiggly brackets (I haven't used WFP very much).

I would suggest first checking if you haven't missed any placeables, and place them if need be.

Johan Bouman (X)
Romania
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
turned out to be a bug Oct 30, 2009

when i told the project manager about my savefail he just told me to delete some of the placeables, that were probably corrupt and caused the error. i had checked previously for missing placeables, but that wasn't the problem.

Thanks anyway!
johan

Andreas Schulz
Andreas Schulz
English to German
+ ...
How to delete placeables in Wordfast? Nov 7, 2009

Hi Johan,

Did you delete all placeables or did you delete step by step until you could save at last?

I have the same problem - all placeables seem to be in the right place and I could save the file earlier, but now I can't save anymore...

How to delete all placeables in target segments at once?

How to delete them in single segments - Ctrl+Alt+UP doesn't seem to work...

Many thanks in advance for your (or anyones) help concerning th
... See more
Hi Johan,

Did you delete all placeables or did you delete step by step until you could save at last?

I have the same problem - all placeables seem to be in the right place and I could save the file earlier, but now I can't save anymore...

How to delete all placeables in target segments at once?

Many thanks in advance for your (or anyones) help concerning this problem...
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Removing Placeables Nov 7, 2009

Dear Andreas,

Andreas Schulz wrote:

First of all, make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

This can make difference.

If you still have problems:

1- Move the cursor on the placeables in the source segments, if you find any of them empty (without any code at all), remove it.

2- Go through the target segments, if you find extra placeables (not found in the source), move them.

Andreas Schulz wrote:

Place the cursor on the problematic placeable in the target cell, press Ctrl+Alt+Up or the equivalent button on the toolbar.

If you still have problems, please send the TXML file as well as the source original file to the following email address so that we can see the problem and advise you:

support ## wordfast.com

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Johan Bouman (X)
Romania
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok, but what does the error message mean Nov 8, 2009

Now that WFP Support has taken care of Andreas' problem (i hope) maybe they can shed some light on how and in what circumstances this error message appears in the first place, and what can be done about it. I never 'make' any placeables myself, i don't even place them myself, i just copy the source segment to be sure and translated around the placeables. They're protected anyway so there should be no way they can become invalid except through a malfunction in WFP. Bugs and errors make translator... See more
Now that WFP Support has taken care of Andreas' problem (i hope) maybe they can shed some light on how and in what circumstances this error message appears in the first place, and what can be done about it. I never 'make' any placeables myself, i don't even place them myself, i just copy the source segment to be sure and translated around the placeables. They're protected anyway so there should be no way they can become invalid except through a malfunction in WFP. Bugs and errors make translators nervous, because it means that you risk losing a translation.

so Wordfast friends, please advise?
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Newer Version Nov 8, 2009

Johan Bouman wrote:

Now that WFP Support has taken care of Andreas' problem (i hope) maybe they can shed some light on how and in what circumstances this error message appears in the first place, and what can be done about it. I never 'make' any placeables myself, i don't even place them myself, i just copy the source segment to be sure and translated around the placeables. They're protected anyway so there should be no way they can become invalid except through a malfunction in WFP. Bugs and errors make translators nervous, because it means that you risk losing a translation.

so Wordfast friends, please advise?

Dear Johan,

So far, we have not received Andreas' query. So, I hope he managed to solve his problem. Otherwise, he (and anyone who has a problem) is very welcome to contact us via the mentioned email or via the Hotline channel:

Log-in (wordfast.net > support > login) with your login email and password mentioned on your invoice. Click on 'Contact the Hotline' and click on 'Hotline/support for Wordfast Professional'. Submit your ticket.

As for problems while saving files, some users have better experiences through using the latest version. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Again, sending us the file (or at least the segments) with which you experienced problems will be highly appreciated.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Save failed - invalid placeable specified

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »