Exporting Wordfast TM into Trados
Thread poster: Ioana Bostan

Ioana Bostan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 1, 2009

Hi all,

I know this must be a very simple matter, but it just did not work well for me today and I really need your help. I work with Wordfast 5.1 and Trados 2006, I need to work on a TM which I built in Wordfast and now I would like to use in a file in TagEditor. I clicked on Edit TM in Wf, Export TM as tmx. file but Trados does not recognize it. I looked at my TMs I created while working in Trados and they have the tmw. extension instead. If I manually change my tmx. in to tmw. then it works but just in terms of no errors to work on the respective file, but no recognition from my old TM as I expected. What did I do wrong? Please help!

Thank you for your time!

Best,

Ioana

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:14
French to English
trados support Nov 1, 2009

Maybe you should post this on trados support, it sounds like you did everything correctly in WF, now you need to figure out how to import the tmx file.

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:14
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
new TM Nov 1, 2009

in Trados create a new TM and import yours in ti.

P.

English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 1, 2009

You might be right Lori, I should ask the question on Trados support if I did it ok up to here.
Thanks P., so should I open a new TM in Trados and go to File/Import and select the txt. Wf TM?

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
File>Import TMX in Trados Nov 1, 2009

Ioana Bostan wrote:
so should I open a new TM in Trados and go to File/Import and select the txt. Wf TM?

Yes, Exactly When importing into the new Trados TM, you should choose the appropriate TMX version and select the TMX TM exported from Wordfast.
Good luck

English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did that... Nov 1, 2009

But how should I know what TMX version I must choose? Something is putrid here, I don't see any piece of text recognized in my fresh new TM, though I work on similar texts... what am I doing wrong? Thanks a lot Cris!!!!

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:14
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
import the tmx Nov 1, 2009

you should open a new TM in Trados and go to File/Import and select the TMX you exported in WF.

the language pair should be the same in both.

P.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did that recently Nov 2, 2009

I chose version 1.4 tmx in the Trados selector menu, I have Freelance 2007. Trados imported all entries.
But as the segmentation rules are different, not all matches are 100%. I encountered this problem:

In lists there were numbers separated by a space:

1. some text
2. some more text

Wf 5.5 only grabs the text, but Trados also includes the numbers. So you have to add the numbers manually. Furthermore Traodos did not find single word matches.

Hope you get the import finally right!

Heinrich

English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 2, 2009

I opened the new TM again, imported the tmx. exported from Wordfast, this time choosing 1.4 tmx version. Thank you Heinrich, it seems it works this time!! I searched for some contexts and I did find it in my old dear TM for Wordfast. It's really fine if I still can search in it for pieces I have already translated before, I don't ming adding numbers, well... It's good anyway!

Thanks again you all guys for your help!

Have a nice working day!

Ioana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting Wordfast TM into Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search