https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/149774-importing_merging_wordfast_tms.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Importing/merging Wordfast TMs
Thread poster: Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
Daniela Gieseler-Higgs  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Nov 2, 2009

Hi,

I'm just about to start working on a major project in Wordfast Pro with a colleague, each of us translating different sections of the project and proofreading each others translations. We will need to swap/update our TMs regularly with each others' TMs. The issue is that within Wordfast Pro I can only find an export button, but nothing to import a TM in a current TM in order to update its contents (as you can do in Trados, for example).

I apologise in advance if I'm
... See more
Hi,

I'm just about to start working on a major project in Wordfast Pro with a colleague, each of us translating different sections of the project and proofreading each others translations. We will need to swap/update our TMs regularly with each others' TMs. The issue is that within Wordfast Pro I can only find an export button, but nothing to import a TM in a current TM in order to update its contents (as you can do in Trados, for example).

I apologise in advance if I'm not seeing the obvious or if this question has been asked before, but does anybody know how to do this? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Daniela
Collapse

Importing/merging Wordfast TMs Nov 2, 2009

Hi Daniela,

When I work with multiple TMs I just open up both and work like that, so I get leveraging coming from both TMs. If you are wanting your colleagues TUs in your TM too you can leverage and clean their 100% matches in a copy of the orig file. I believe this should work. I hope that is what you are asking.

Thanks,
Andrew

Albert Stufkens
Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:39
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Importing other TM into current TM Nov 3, 2009

Without using Wordfast just open the files (usually a notepad format) and copy the content of the other file and paste it under the last line of the current TM.

The simplest solution.

[quote]Daniela Gieseler-Higgs wrote:

The issue is that within Wordfast Pro I can only find an export button, but nothing to import a TM in a current TM in order to update its contents (as you can do in Trados, for example).

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 3, 2009

Thanks, Andrew and Albert, these are all possibilities although not the solution I was hoping for

We need to exchange TMs every day and I think this would all be a bit time-consuming. Maybe it needs to be a browser-based TM

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
WF classic or Anywhere? Nov 3, 2009

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs wrote:

Thanks, Andrew and Albert, these are all possibilities although not the solution I was hoping for

We need to exchange TMs every day and I think this would all be a bit time-consuming. Maybe it needs to be a browser-based TM

Hi Daniela,

Unless you have to work with WF pro, you may want to try using Wordfast Anywhere. Otherwise, the VLTM solution for WF Classic would work for this.

Good luck!

John

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro Nov 3, 2009

Hi John,

the project has to be done in Wordfast Pro.

Daniela

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
similar topic Nov 3, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/146939-sharing_tm_and_glossary_among_a_team_using_wordfast_pro.html

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Remote TM Nov 4, 2009

Dear Daniela,

To instruct Wordfast Pro to use the public VLTM service, go to Translation Memory > New/Select TM > click on Remote > click New and set the following fields in the New Remote TM tab:

Address: www.global-tm.net
Username: SS>TT

SS is your source language and TT is your target language. Edit SS and TT as needed. For example, EN>DE means English to German and JA>FR means Japanese to French. To look up your language code, please go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes, find your language in the "Language name" column, and then its corresponding code in the 639-1 column.

If you set only those settings, you will be able to use it as a "Read Only" Remote TM. But if you would like to add your translations to it as well, you need to create a new Workgroup ID.

To create a Workgroup ID, you will need to install and license Wordfast Classic (if you have not done so already). Wordfast Classic is part of the Wordfast Translation Studio for which you have purchased a license, so licensing it is free. You just need to download the demo version from our website and login to our support menu - http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=aftersale and enter your login and password. Then, click "license or relicense a Wordfast Translation Studio application".

Once you have Wordfast Classic running, please follow these instructions to create your new Workgroup ID:

- Open MS Word; click on the f-like button on Wordfast Classic toolbar.
- Go to the VLTM tab.
- Check the option "VLTM".
- Click "Create new ID"; the textbox Workgroup ID is empty, so far.
- You will be asked to enter the period you need.
- Enter a PIN number (4 digits).
- A message should appear telling stating the new Workgroup ID. After clicking OK, the same ID will automatically appear in the Workgroup ID textbox.
- Close Wordfast set-up window and save settings.

For more information, please have a look here.

- While creating a New Remote TM in Wordfast Professional, copy and paste the new Workgroup ID into its field.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2009-11-04 13:13 GMT]

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems installing Wordfast Classic Nov 4, 2009

Hi Yasmin,

thank you for your very detailed instructions. However, they led me to the next difficulties: I could not install Wordfast Classic with my Word 2007 despite following ALL the instructions and troubleshooting. It's all taking a lot of time... and I think I will have to find a different solution.

Kind regards
Daniela

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Workgroup ID Nov 4, 2009

I could not install Wordfast Classic with my Word 2007 despite following ALL the instructions and troubleshooting. It's all taking a lot of time... and I think I will have to find a different solution.

Dear Daniela,

Actually, you only need one Workgroup ID to share with your colleague(s) which means that if your colleague is able to create the Workgroup ID, both of you can (and should) use it to be able to simultaneously share your translation units.

As for installing Wordfast Classic, there is no obvious reason preventing it from being installed into Word 2007 as long as you properly adjust the security settings as mentioned in WFReadMe.txt. Still, please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Classic available at:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

This can make difference in regard to Word 2007. Also, you can try disabling any security software (Anti-virus, firewall, etc) you have during the installation process. If you run Windows Vista, it is better usually to turn off the UAC. This could help you avoid potential problems. (Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off -> (un-check) Use User Account Control) -> Re-start your computer.

Again, if you still have problems with installing Wordfast Classic, please contact the Hotline. Log-in (wordfast.net > support > login) with your login email and password mentioned on your invoice. Click on 'Contact the Hotline' and click on 'Hotline/support for Wordfast Classic'. Submit your ticket.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

[Edited at 2009-11-04 20:18 GMT]

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Yasmin Nov 4, 2009

Hi Yasmin,

I've done all that, so I'll contact the hotline now.

Cheers
Daniela

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update @ Yasmin Nov 4, 2009

Hi Yasmin,

I finally managed to install Wordfast Classic AND VLTM. The problem with both was that the files needed to be located in the right folders on my computer, the first in the Startup and the second in the same folder as Winword.exe. I've therefore not used a ticket.

Now - the next problem: I managed to create a new workgroup ID and link it to my document, but I seem to have misunderstood the concept. I thought if I created a new workgroup ID only myself and the
... See more
Hi Yasmin,

I finally managed to install Wordfast Classic AND VLTM. The problem with both was that the files needed to be located in the right folders on my computer, the first in the Startup and the second in the same folder as Winword.exe. I've therefore not used a ticket.

Now - the next problem: I managed to create a new workgroup ID and link it to my document, but I seem to have misunderstood the concept. I thought if I created a new workgroup ID only myself and the people I collaborate with could work with or even see the remote TM. When I link my project to the remote TM/VLTM using our workgroup number and do a TM lookup I can see strings/suggestions which have nothing to do with our project and seem to originate from other documents or users. Have I missed an option I can tick where I only see the entries we will create or have created? Is there a possibility to integrate local TMs in a VLTM? I'm afraid it's been a long day and I don't seem to get it.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Daniela

[Edited at 2009-11-04 23:36 GMT]
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Workgroup ID Matches Nov 5, 2009

I thought if I created a new workgroup ID only myself and the people I collaborate with could work with or even see the remote TM. When I link my project to the remote TM/VLTM using our workgroup number and do a TM lookup I can see strings/suggestions which have nothing to do with our project and seem to originate from other documents or users. Have I missed an option I can tick where I only see the entries we will create or have created? Is there a possibility to integrate local TMs in a VLTM? I'm afraid it's been a long day and I don't seem to get it.

Dear Daniela,

You may receive suggestions from other translations translated in the "Donor" mode (without Workgroup ID) in Wordfast Classic. But as you do work with a Workgroup ID, your segments are stored **confidentially**

To get the idea, make sure that the Remote TM you created is:

1) Selected (checked)
2) NOT "Read Only" (Un-check this option to be able to update the TM.)

Now, try adding any segment and then search for a phrase of it using Ctrl+Alt+L. You should be able to find it among the results. To insert a result into the target cell select it and press Ctrl+Alt+M. If it is provided as a match, you can use Alt+Right/Left to move between matches to insert one of them into the target cell.

I hope it clear now. If you still have questions, pleas let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

[Edited at 2009-11-05 05:01 GMT]

Daniela Gieseler-Higgs
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Yasmin Nov 5, 2009

Hi Yasmin,

thanks, Yasmin, that is very reassuring and helpful. I've got one other question: is it possible to get the remote TM for a certain project/workgroup ID from the VLTM and store it locally for further use if more texts for the same project come up in the future?

Kind regards
Daniela

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Local TM Nov 5, 2009

I've got one other question: is it possible to get the remote TM for a certain project/workgroup ID from the VLTM and store it locally for further use if more texts for the same project come up in the future?

Dear Daniela,

Usually, it is helpful to make sure you have a Local TM created and selected as well for local archiving. So, while working, translation units will be stored into both the Remote TM and the Local TM. Even if you need to merge your colleagues' TMs at the end of the project, you can do that in Wordfast Classic Data Editor. Otherwise, you can "Clean up" the TXML against a Local TM to update it with the translation units after finalizing the project.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

[Edited at 2009-11-05 09:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing/merging Wordfast TMs

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »