MS Word 2003 "File" and "Tools" menu options not always mouse-selectable
Thread poster: Alan Frankel

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
German to English
Nov 2, 2009

After I installed Wordfast on my Microsoft Vista computer, I consistently saw that whereas I could open every menu in Word with the mouse, the "File" and "Tools" menus would not let me select any items with the mouse. This was true whether I use the USB mouse or the built-in laptop mouse pad. I had to then back out of the menu and select the option with a key combination. This was very irritating. As soon as I uninstalled Wordfast, the problem went away.

I have not seen this reported anywhere in this forum or elsewhere on the web. Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone figured out how to keep both Wordfast and the mouse-selectability of these menu options?

UPDATE: I now see a recurrence of the problem even though I haven't reinstalled Wordfast. Something else must be at work. I'm not sure which factors control whether those menu options will work with the mouse at a given moment.

I will update the content of the post, move it to the Office Tools forum, and delete it from here, once I have figured out how to do that.

[Edited at 2009-11-02 20:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-03 15:37 GMT]

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:02
Spanish to English
I don't know if this will help but... Nov 3, 2009

Do you have a pdf transformer installed? If so, it installs a program in word that conflicts with wordfast. Sorry I can't remember all the details of how to remove it, but basically you remove that part of the pdf transformer that is installed in word, this won't affect its performance or its usefulness, then you close all the word documents you have open and delete the normal.dot file. When you next open word a new normal.dot with be there but without any macros (eg. wordfast, personalized autocorrect) so you have to install those separately.

Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I do have a PDF converter installed. Nov 3, 2009

Many thanks for the suggestion. I have Nuance PDF Converter 6. I can experiment with reconfiguring it and then report back on the results.

Just to clarify - my problem is not with Wordfast, but with the "File" and "Tools" menu options within Word being intermittently unselectable by mouse. I originally thought that Wordfast was causing the problem, but now I see that it isn't.

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:02
Spanish to English
Good luck Nov 3, 2009

I hope this works.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word 2003 "File" and "Tools" menu options not always mouse-selectable

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search