Wordfast compatibility
Thread poster: Sarah Robertson
Sarah Robertson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
French to English
Nov 5, 2009

I am learning wordfast and I have been told it is compatible with Trados. I am wondering if this is not true?

Certainly I tried to open a Trados 2009 TM and was told my laptop did not recognise the software. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:07
Italian to English
+ ...
It is and it isn't Nov 5, 2009

Wordfast is compatible with Trados Workbench to the extent that you can open and work on unclean TWB word documents in Wordfast.

You cannot, however, open a Trados TM in Wordfast. To do that you would need to export the Trados TM as a tmx and then open the tmx in Wordfast. The catch is that in the conversion to tmx Trados leaves behind a high number of tags that Wordfast does not understand. Ideally you should obtain a tmx editor like Olifant to delete the tags before importing into wordfast.

Hope this helps.

Sarah Robertson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
tmx editor Olifant Nov 5, 2009

To be honest, I am still getting to grips wordfast. Can I ask about an editor that removes thags that Wordfast does not recognise - what happens when you have to sav it back as a trados document and return to the client?

Also where would I get hold of this editir and how much does it cost?

Thanks

S

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast 5.x versus Trados 2009 Nov 5, 2009

Sarah Robertson wrote:
I am learning Wordfast and I have been told it is compatible with Trados. I am wondering if this is not true?

It is becoming less and less true as Trados is developing into ever weirder directions. Trados 2007 had two formats, namely TTX and uncleaned RTF. Wordfast can handle uncleaned RTF. Trados 2009's format is SDXLIFF. Wordfast can't handle TTX or SDLXLIFF without some extensive hacking.

Trados can't read Wordfast's TM format and Wordfast can't read Trados' TM format, but both can read and write (import and export) TMX TMs.

Certainly I tried to open a Trados 2009 TM and was told my laptop did not recognise the software. Am I missing something here?

Someone with Trados 2009 (eg your client or a colleague) should export the TM to TMX for you. I'm not sure if Trados 2007 can read Trados 2009 TMs.

philippid  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Proprietary formats Nov 5, 2009

Consistent change in formats is entirely natural to any software company trying to hedge their market position, this is true for MS word just as much as it is for trados.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Olifant Nov 5, 2009

Sarah Robertson wrote:

Here, for instance and Olifant is a free software :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/okapi/files/

Just enjoy !

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Trados Tags ? Nov 5, 2009

Richard Hall wrote:

The catch is that in the conversion to tmx Trados leaves behind a high number of tags that Wordfast does not understand.

I'm afraid not to understand : a Trados TMX TM is, if good done, absolutely readable by WordFast. Never had such a problem with WordFast Classic. WF converts the TMX into TXT and when you are finished, WF converts the TXT into TMX.

It happens that this back convertion is unsuccessfull (the process freeze). In such a case, a soft like Olifant is very useful because you know where the error(s) occur(s) : you can correct. Often its a problem of "invalid character" (and not a tag problem).

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Olifant Nov 5, 2009

The information it removes is proprietary operating data needed by TWB that just clutters up the tmx. If you deliver a clean and/or unclean file to the customer it makes no difference whether you generated it by wordfast or TWB. If on the other hand you need to deliver a trados TM or a Trados TM txt export, then you would have to export the Wordfast TM as a TMX and reimport it into Trados.
You can find Olifant through google. It is freeware.

Sarah Robertson wrote:

To be honest, I am still getting to grips wordfast. Can I ask about an editor that removes thags that Wordfast does not recognise - what happens when you have to sav it back as a trados document and return to the client?

Thanks

S

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Wordfast tmx-export is fully compatible to Trados 2007 Nov 5, 2009

If a Wf TM is saved as tmx I have no problem importing it into a Trados TM of the same language combination, and I can retranslate the file in Tradso Tageditor without problems (in some cases segmentation differs though).

TMW-format TMs are only readable by Trados itself. No other software can read it directly.

If you get Trados jobs regularly you should make the jump and buy Trados.

Regards
Heinrich

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:07
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use both for full compatibility Nov 5, 2009

Most of my jobs "require" Trados, so I have Trados, but I do all the translation in Wordfast as I can work almost twice as fast with Wordfast as compared to Trados.

I prepare the files in Trados and export all segments after analysis with an empty memory.
After translation in Wordfast, I clean the file with Trados and apply that memory on the original files for review.

That way, I can deliver an updated Trados TM and still work as I want, and I've been doing so for years.

That might change when I'm required to upgrade to tillhandahålla latest version of Trados as it doesn't use Word, but there should be some way to get around that as well.

Dragan Stanojevski
English to Serbian
problem with Serbian cyrilic letters in TM Dec 10, 2010

I'm learning to work with Wordfast at the moment and i need to use TMs created in Trados. The problem is that when I try to import the TMs to Olifant to convert them into .tmx files, the file extension I am offered at the open file window is (Wordfast tm.txt) (along with other types of files) but I can't get around to opening it in Wordfast as it replies: this is a Trados TM! Anyway, the real problem is that Olifant can't import these TMs and I can't escape the impression that it has to do with Serbian cyrilic letters. The notifications I get (in the Olifant log window) all seem to notify about certain errors in each line and they skip certain elements. The result is TUs imported units = 0. Please help.

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Use Trados to export as TMX, then import Dec 10, 2010

Dear Dragan,

You need to export your Trados TM's to TMX formatted TM's using Trados. You can then convert them using Olifant (the best) or open the TMX directly in Wordfast (which copies it and creates a WF compatible TM).

Hope this helps,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Dragan Stanojevski
English to Serbian
Trados necessary Dec 11, 2010

John Di Rico wrote:

Dear Dragan,

You need to export your Trados TM's to TMX formatted TM's using Trados. You can then convert them using Olifant (the best) or open the TMX directly in Wordfast (which copies it and creates a WF compatible TM).

Hope this helps,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

I was unaware that Exporting from Trados is necessary. Thank you very much John! This has been quite helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast compatibility

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search