"\file.txt could not be found" error opening all TMs - starting to panic
Thread poster: Charlotte Allen

Charlotte Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:23
French to English
Nov 10, 2009

I am running Wordfast 5.52zu (Wordfast Classic) and today it suddenly started to be unable to open TMs. When I attempt to open any old TM, the following error is returned: "\file.Txt could not be found" where "file" is the name of my TM. For information, the only thing out of the ordinary which I have done today was to import a number of glossaries into Wordfast from Excel spreadsheets. I was having some problems with getting Wordfast to display the blue highlighting for entries in these imported glossaries and was trying various options to see where the problem might lie. However, I did not alter any of the options for the TM.

I am able to create a new TM and have tried to merge one of my old, large TMs into this, but it says "0 lines pasted", even though there are thousands of units in the old TM. The old TMS all still exist on my system and I can open them in Notepad. It's hard to see how they could have all suddenly become corrupt like that. It's more as if Wordfast suddenly can't recognise them.

I am starting to get a little desperate now as (of course) I have a deadline to meet, and I will consider uninstalling and reinstalling Wordfast (which is probably a later version now anyway), but would like to know if anyone else has come across this and if anyone can help me get to the root of the problem.

Many thanks in advance!!

Charlotte

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxVert-ical Tr
Netherlands
Local time: 10:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same folder? Nov 10, 2009

Hi Charlotte,
Are all of your TMs located in the same folder on your computer? I learned that this must be the case in order to merge them. It seems strange that you can open them, but that they are not recognized by WF.
Good luck!

Charlotte Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:23
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update on Wordfast unable to open existing TMs Nov 10, 2009

Thought I would just post an update.

Wordfast has continued to behave VERY strangely indeed. Attempts to open existing TMs would produce either "\file.TXT is not a Wordfast TM", "\file.Txt could not be found" or "\file.Txt not found". Glossaries could be opened normally, however. At other times, the TM would suddenly open ok, but attempts to open a glossary would then return the error "\file.Txt could not be found"!

I attempted:

(1) Restarting my PC. This solved nothing.
(2) Uninstalling Wordfast, downloading Wordfast version 5.61. This also solved nothing. The same problem recurred.
(3) Restoring my PC to a checkpoint early this morning, before the problems started.

This last attempt APPEARS to have solved the problem (at least for now), although, oddly, it asked me for the Wordfast license number again and made me reorganise my TM. I can now open all the TMs that were giving me trouble before, AND all my glossaries.

Anyone have any thoughts? Just gremlins, perhaps?

[Edited at 2009-11-10 20:29 GMT]

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:23
Member (2008)
French to English
Not a Wordfast problem Nov 11, 2009

Sounds like a problem with the operating system, not Wordfast. Wordfast calls Windows Explorer (if you're using Windows, that is) to find files.

A good reason to check occasionally to make sure that your system restore points are working properly.

lingua2brasil
Brazil
Same problem Jan 21, 2010

I had the same problem.
The WF txt files were on the network in another computer, I just transfered them to my desktop, then it worked!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"\file.txt could not be found" error opening all TMs - starting to panic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search