https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/150680-beginner_question_repetition_100_match_analysis_japanese_to_english.html

Beginner Question - Repetition / 100% Match Analysis - Japanese to English
Thread poster: bugbread
bugbread
bugbread
Local time: 17:58
Japanese to English
Nov 12, 2009

I know questions are always asked about matches/repetition/billing, but there are so many that looking for the answer is like looking for a needle in a haystack, so:

I'm a longtime Wordfast user, but I've never had clients who do TM-based billing, so I've never worked with the Analyse function. I'm switching to full-time work, and some new customers do use TM-based billing. I know some folks are fundamentally opposed to that concept, but my question is for folks who do adjust prices for repetitions / matching.

So, long intro over:

My understanding is that you Analyse the document before starting any translation, and use those analysis results for billing. However, I've tried this (luckily, not for an actual translation, but as practice), and I have two big problems.

First, the Analyse results:

Analogy segments words char %
---------------------------------------------------------
Repetitions 40 495 744 64%
100% 0 0 0 0%
95%-99% 0 0 0 0%
85%-94% 0 0 0 0%
65%-84% 0 0 0 0%
00%-64% 23 277 434 36%
Total 63 772 1178

1) I did the analysis with a blank TM on a source document with extremely few segment repetitions, yet the analysis is saying 64% of the document consisted of repetitions. Wha?? Is this a problem with Japanese and Wordfast, or am I doing it wrong?

2) I bill by the target word...but how do I get repetition / match figures if I'm supposed to run analysis before translation? One Japanese word does not match to one English word (not even close).

Sorry about the verbosity.

[Edited at 2009-11-12 10:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-12 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner Question - Repetition / 100% Match Analysis - Japanese to English

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »