Wordfast incompatibility with Office 2003 SP3
Thread poster: Isabel Booth

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
Italian to English
Nov 16, 2009

Hello everyone
I had problems with my PC recently and the computer technician had to reformat the disk.
He also downloaded the updates from Microsoft (SP3 for Office), partitioned the disk into 2 to separate programmes and data and changed the antivirus to Avira

As luck would have it, my Wordfast license had expired so I paid the renewal and downloaded it again but I can't get it to install properly. It seems to be installed but when I click on the WF button, Word closes.

The PC guy has been back to try solve the problem - reinstalled Office, reinstalled Wordfast - but no success. Then he tried installing the demo version of wordfast on his own PC at home that has the same Office 2003 SP3 and the same OS (Win XP) and discovered it won't install properly on his PC either.

Has anyone had the same problem? Any tips on getting wordfast back up?
I have tried contacting the guys at wordfast but they haven't replied yet
Thanks for any help
Isabel

PS I really don't see why I should pay 50 euro to renew a hotline subscription in order to reinstall WF - I just paid 90 euro for the renewal

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
please describe Nov 16, 2009

Please describe the steps you took to install Wordfast.

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
It works for me Nov 16, 2009

I have Office 2003 SP3 and WordFast works just fine.

Terry.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other CAT tools or applications? Nov 17, 2009

I found that my WordFast did not like the fact that I have Trados installed on the same platform (Vista with Office 2003 SP3). Really annoying, and I'm afraid I have no real way around it.

In the end I simply bought a MacBook and installed WordFast there and then Trados on Parallels on the MacBook - this way the two don't clash, but that is a rather expensive solution, I know.

I have recently heard about Parallels now being available for PCs, so perhaps this would be an idea if it's not too expensive.

[Edited at 2009-11-17 08:37 GMT]

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Other virtualization applications for PC and Mac Nov 17, 2009

You may also try:

VMware: http://www.vmware.com/
Virtual Box (free open source): http://www.virtualbox.org/

plus Virtual PC that comes with Windows 7.

[Edited at 2009-11-17 09:09 GMT]

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working ... Nov 17, 2009

Thanks guys for your input.
For Lori, we tried installing it each and every way - on Saturday the computer technician spent over 2 hours trying. He then went home and tried installing it on his own PC (with the same OS and Office as me) and it also refused to install on his.

Then, hey presto Wordfast seems (!) to be installed today - not that I changed anything since yesterday....
So I have been going through some old documents and wordfast/word are behaving differently each time.
- Sometimes I get to the end of the doc, then word crashes when I try to close it
- Sometimes word crashes as soon as I click the WF icon
- Sometimes it just closes with no error message as soon as I click the WF icon
I even got the message once that the TM over 500 units had been made with an unlicenced WF and I had to enter the license n° - when I looked the license n° had disappeared on its own account

I don't have any other CAT tool on the PC, I am wondering if the problem is Word but it's original SW.
Unfortuneately I am not computer savvy at all, but I will have a look at the links. (it's the first time I heard of parallels or VMware....)
At the moment I am so desperate, I feel like buying the first laptop that comes to hand...

ANYWAY, in the meantime, a very helpful person from Wordfast has answered my cry for help but we haven't solved the problem yet...
Isabel

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not really an answer, but if you’ve got a pressing job, Nov 18, 2009

try Anaphraseus with OpenOffice.org. Both are free software, so, you don’t have to bother about the license. Anaphraseus can produce and use translation memories and glossaries compatible with Wordfast. It’s still in beta status and you’re likely to loose some text formatting. It’s also far not so rich in features as Wordfast, but, well, it’s functional.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast incompatibility with Office 2003 SP3

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search