Thread poster: Katrin Jarvis

Katrin Jarvis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:01
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 20, 2009

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, WordFast Classic 5.5 and Word 2007

I am trying to translate a DOC 97-2003 file, it looks like HTML tags in it.

When I try to start the translation and I get the message "This looks like a SYLK file. Do you want to tag it" Whether I choose Yes or No I then get the error message that I should close the selected TM.

It does not let me change TM or do anything else, just closes WordFast. I tried changing TM by removing the active TM manually, nothing. I deleted and recreated the -ini file, nothing.

I cn translate any other document just fine. I also tried to convert the .doc to a .rtf, but all that did was remove the SYLK message, still get the error message that I should close the TM and then nothing...

Seems SYLK files are usually associated with Excel, but I am not at all familiar with them. Plus, the file is not actually a SYLK file, it is a regular DOC file!

Any ideas? Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Keresztesi
Local time: 05:01
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use OpenOffice Nov 20, 2009

Use OpenOffice to open the document, then save it in MS Word 97/200/XP format (Save As... and select the format from the rolldown list, first from the bottom). Then try to load it, see if it works. Word 2007 has its quirks, not to mention Windows 7...

If that doesn't work for some reason, try the same in MS Word 2003.

Here's something about SYLK. Note the paragraph about encoding. Maybe there's an encoding conflict somewhere that WF can't resolve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYmbolic_LinK_(SYLK)

If worse comes to worst, kill the hyperlinks, then manually replace them once you're done translating. May be tedious depending on the number.

Good luck!

-Peter

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:01
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
SYLK - an ancient format Nov 20, 2009

Any ideas? Thanks!

SYLK is a very old format for spreasheets. Somehow WF thinks there is spreadsheet information in the DOC. If there are some tags in the doc, they should be tagged with styles as internal and external, to make translation easier. Maybe you can make WF tag the file the right way?

Regards,

Piotr

Katrin Jarvis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:01
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found the problem! Nov 20, 2009

After speaking with WordFast support, it looks like there is a problem for WordFast to recognize a HTML document that has been pasted into a Word document. It thinks it is still a HTML doc and tries to tag it and thus the crash.

Apparently they will work on that problem.

We found a work around that is not ideal, but at least something. The document was saved as a TXT and then pasted back into a DOC.

Spent too many hours trying to figure this out!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SYLK file (???) and error messages...

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search