François-Xavier Pâque
Belgium
Local time: 20:22
Member (2010)
Russian to French
+ ...
Nov 21, 2009

Hello all,

I have been working with Wordfast pro for quite a while now, and still find it wonderful, however i do have a small problem with the glossaries : in one of my source languages (Russian) , the brackets «  » are often joined to the word like this «example» instead of being spaced « example », which thereby makes it impossible for the glossary to recognize it.

What can i do ?, coz it's a source of massive time loss

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Join the Yahoo group Nov 21, 2009

The informed user base of Wordfast Professional users reading your message on ProZ might currently be rather small.

Join tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WF_PRO/ for direct answers.

Cheers,
Gerard

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Find-Replace Nov 30, 2009

François-Xavier Pâque wrote:

in one of my source languages (Russian) , the brackets «  » are often joined to the word like this «example» instead of being spaced « example », which thereby makes it impossible for the glossary to recognize it.

Dear François,

In some languages « » should include two non-breaking spaces. I am not sure if this is the case in Russian. (Checking some resources, it seems it is not.)

Anyhow, if you have many of such « » without spaces in your source file and think that they can affect the translation process, you can apply a Find-Replace operation on your source file. (I suppose here it is a MS Word document):

- Open your source file in MS Word.
- Go to *Edit* menu > *Replace*, or press Ctrl+H on your keyboard.

- In *Find what* type «
- In *Replace with* type «^s
- Click *Replace All*

- In *Find what* type »
- In *Replace with* type ^s»
- Click *Replace All*

Note: You may need first to uncheck the option *Straight Quotes With Smart Quotes* (AutoCorrect > AutoFormat As You Type) before applying the Find-Replace operation.

After finishing the translation of the document in Wordfast Pro, you can apply the reversed Find-Replace operation on the final target file, if needed.

Still, if the non-breaking space does not work, you can use a white space (by pressing the space bar on your keyboard).

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2009-11-30 19:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

glossary stemming : how to get rid of the «  » non recognition

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search