Thread poster: Erin DeBell

Erin DeBell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 22, 2009

Hello:

Granted, I am a novice Wordfast user, BUT, I watched all the training videos and thought I'd be able to use the most basic functions to automatically translate some text.

I was using the standalone trail version, which I deleted when my TM got over 500 and I really wanted to use it for a new project. I downloaded the most recent version on the website, which turned out to be Wordfast classic (operating inside MS Word).

Word has been crashing on me all day but it recovers my translation and I continued working on it. This morning I was unable to install a windows update (not sure if that is relevant).

I had my work so I thought everything was fine. However, when I saved a copy and tried to run a quick clean, the Spanish ST will not go away! I sent it to my PM, and she can't even open the file!

The only solution I can think of is to PRINT OUT my entire doc, with ST, TT and placeables and to TYPE IN the English in an entirely new document. I am desperate. Any ideas to somehow get the Spanish to go away???

Also, after a few crashes the TM apparently stopped working (not pretranslating things I had already translated. No more TM?).

TIA!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:39
French to English
+ ...
Quick fix Nov 22, 2009

Hi Erin,

Not sure why Word keeps crashing for you, but it might be worth going back to a more stable version of Wordfast and redownloading - I think all the various versions are available online. If that works, you should be able to retranslate using what's in your memory if the document isn't too huge.

Otherwise, for a quick fix for this particular document, this is what the Wordfast technical support group advised me to do when I had a similar problem with a very complex document, full of tables of contents and bookmarks, which just hung and refused to clean:

Search and replace hidden text:

Find what -> *
Replace with -> (nothing)
Use wildcards -> checked

with the cursor in the "Find what" field, select Format > Font > Hidden

You should have the following screen:

http://wordfast.fi/images/find_hidden.jpg

Then hit "Replace All" and your document should be cleaned.

Just in case, do this on a copy, of course!

Good luck,

Claire

P.S. Just realised you said you'd run a "quick clean". I must admit I never use the quick clean facility - the only time I did, it didn't clean my document either. Have you tried the normal clean button in Tools?

[Edited at 2009-11-22 23:45 GMT]

Erin DeBell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Nov 22, 2009

Thanks for your suggestions, Claire. I am going to see if they will work for me right now. While waiting for replies on this forum, I saved my Word document as a macro-enabled document (I had just saved it as a normal word document until then since I hadn't heard of the need to save it in any other format) and I WAS able to quick clean that version. Now I just need to see if my PM can open a macro-enabled doc (.docm, I think it is). Was it just common knowledge that I should have saved it this way to begin with?

And yes, quick clean was the only clean button I tried. I didn't see another one. But I will go check.

Thanks a million!

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
What’s the file type and Word version actually? Nov 23, 2009

If it’s MS Word 2003, the following trick may help: open the file in OpenOffice.org, make a dummy edit (say, type a space instead of a space) and save it, then re-open in Word and clean up. Quite often, such a procedure fixes some internal glitches of the document structure.

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:39
Italian to English
Also happening to me too Nov 23, 2009

I also have the same problem since my computer guy had to reformat my hard disk and ran all the Win XP and Office 2003 updates 2 weeks ago (see post in the WF support forum)

I have been in touch daily with WF support, who have been very helpful, but we have not solved the problem.

However, I have found that WF 4 runs OK - try deleting WF.dot from yr PC, deleting normal.dot and then downloading WF4 from the WF website and installing it.

Please let WF know too: methinks there is a Microsoft update out there that doesn't like Wordfast at all!

Isabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent Help - Wordfast causes Word to crash & cannot "clean" recovered file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search